On-the-wheel tyre repair by liquid

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 16:00
ThreadID: 7296 Views:2334 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just looked at Safety Seal's new "Safety Seal PLUS Liquid Repair" kit. (See the U.S. website at "www.safetyseal.com". On-the-wheel tyre repair without plugs, by just squirting in some glue? Sounds fabulous! But it doesn't seem to be available yet in Oz (I called ARB and Repco).
Q: Has anybody of you good people used this product? What do you think?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gordon - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 17:52

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 17:52
I wouldn't touch it. You are just going to end up with a mess when you come to repair the tyre properly. My motto is: Fix it well then you'll fix it only once. Of course, other people say there is never enough time to fix things properly but always time to fix them more than once. Sit down and figure how much time you're going to save even if it works.

Are you going to carry plugs and tubes as well? If the answer is "yes" then forget about it.
AnswerID: 31445

Reply By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 18:16

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 18:16
gday anchan.
ive never heard of this stuff so i cant coment but a lot of theese punctre liquid repair kits contain highly flamable liquid.
here lies the problem if a tyre thats been fixed with this stuff we wont repair because of the risk of hitting one of the steel belts when buffing the hole getting a spark and boom.so for the little time you will save you may make the tyre unrepairable.a tubless puncture repair kit should quick fix a large percentage of punctures untill you can get it properly repaired.jamieson wild cat
AnswerID: 31448

Reply By: Matt M - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 20:27

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 20:27
Anchan, I have used the rope (safe-t-seal) plugs on everything from my 4wd, the camper trailer, ATV motorcycles and even on a massive loader tyre, they work a treat and if you are good you dont have to remove the tyre, but its easier!

We also use the liquid seal that is put inside the tyre on the ATVs but I wouldnt suggest if for anything else. The mess it makes when you demount the tyre is a pain and most retailers wont touch a tyre once its been installed.

I havent used the liquid repair, but it sounds no less labour intensive as the safetseal and they are faultless! Its one thing to head bush and worry but great if you know you can trust your equipment and your skills to overcome just about every outcome, stick with what you know!

Matt.
AnswerID: 31455

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:23

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:23
Anchan.

The risk of useing any repiar system that does not seal the inner surface of the tyre is that if the tread is sealed but the inner is not the air pressure will build up in the tread belt and cause the tread to delaminate, this can cause major panel damage as the tread wips around the wheel, not to mention the distruction of the tyre. Eric
AnswerID: 31470

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:35

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 22:35
gday eric.
your right there.get it fixed properly. what normaly happens is something punctures the tyre.
the liquid stuff fixes the hole on the inside and water get into the hole through the outside tread rusting the belts causing them to seporatejamieson wild cat
FollowupID: 22403

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 08:54

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 08:54
Gday
Last set of tyres i had, were filled with some type of sealing agent should i get a small stake it would repair itself.
Well, they were impossible to balance and keep balanced. the stuff would congregate at the bottom of the tyre and upset things all the time.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 31494

Reply By: Anchan - Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 17:22

Friday, Sep 19, 2003 at 17:22
Thank you all for your voices of experience. Sigh! Maybe you chaps are right. I hereby bow to peer pressure and shall buy the tried-and-true plugs etc. Safety Seal Repair Kit.
But wouldn'it be nice to be able to fix a tyre on the wheel...
AnswerID: 31526

Reply By: JohnH - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 12:31

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 12:31
Anchan, I spent quite some time in the Army with the ASLAV's that's the wheeled version. We used the 'spaghetti' when we got a flat and up here in the top end that was quite often. We mended quite a few holes and some large one's at that. Thes are a good fix if you are of road but would recommend if you are back on the highway to get the problem are fixed. If there is a problem with getting it fixed, run the mended tyre on the rear. Thats a repair you can do on the rim without taking the tyre off the vehicle. Food for thought.

All the best
John H
AnswerID: 31565

Follow Up By: Anchan - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:48

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 12:48
Thanks, Hohn. But... (I have yet to meet somebody dumber than I.) Your write: "... run the mended tyre on the rear. Thats a repair you can do on the rim without taking the tyre off the vehicle." -- Why should I run the *mended* tyre on the rear? And why can't I fix a front tyre without taking it off the vehicle?
Having yet to play with my new Safety Seal kit,
Anchan
FollowupID: 22547

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)