Moreton Island? A good drive??

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 17:03
ThreadID: 7320 Views:1931 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks:

Going to Qld in a week to visit friends and rellies, and thought I'd take a spin to Moreton Island this trip. It seems Straddie is still on fire. I am well used to travelling the sand, being a frequent visitor to Fraser, and am interested in any thoughts, recommendations, suggestions or whatever on Moreton Island.

At this stage Moreton is either going to be a day trip or a "one night" camping stand.

Thanks in advance.

JackAustralia - If you don't love it, leave!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vince - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 19:35

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 19:35
Hi Jack.
I have just watched Brisbane news. Nth Straddie is really having a few problems with fires today.Moreton Island is a great island,totally different to Fraser. Not as many tracks but the western side is great to camp on as u dont cop all the wind. The stretch from Bulwer to Cape morton can be tricky at times so watch out!!
If you have time, Bribie Island has some great beach camping spots & it is easier to get to as compared to Moreton.
Only one problem with either island at this time of year, school hols!!!
Enjoy your trip
Vince
AnswerID: 31581

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 20:18

Saturday, Sep 20, 2003 at 20:18
Many thanks Vince.
I had not thought about Bribie, but your suggestions has made it an option as well. Guess I now should consult the 4WD travel books.
Take care,
FollowupID: 22513

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 19:23

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 19:23
Jack
We have all the fun up here.
Moreton is a great place but is not the calibre of Fraser.
There are some beatiful lakes but not a lot of senic drives.
Eagers Creek camping area on the eastern side (ocean) is a bit more sheltered than on the beach.
Access to fresh water is more difficult on Moreton as well but it is still a magic place compared to what un-enlightened people have to put up with. (caravan parks & TV etc.)
The western side is a lot more sheltered but it can get very hot and the insects can be quite bad at times.
The barge fee is pretty steep (around $100 I think) and if you are towing a trailer just be aware that the barge operators charge over $10 per foot for the trailer.
A lot of moolah for a one nighter.
As far as Bribie goes I don't think I'd bother in school holiday times as the space set aside for beach camping is VERY limited (I think about a 4K stretch).
Enjoy it.
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
AnswerID: 31620

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 20:40

Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 20:40
Hi Oskar:

You certainly do have al the fun up there - and one day I hope to convince "she who must .. etc " to move there. The battle continues.

Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately I am not towing a trailer, and am quite interested in seeing Moreton Is, but I am leaning your way about the $100 barge ride for a quick spin around the sand. May rethink it and come back another time when I have more time available to spend there. Hopefully out of school hols, although that is difficult when the other half is a teacher .. aarrgghhh!!!

In any case, still looking forward to visiting Paradise ...

Cheers
FollowupID: 22566

Reply By: Member - NOBBY - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:26

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:26
Jack.. the barge fare is $130 plus $30 beach driving fee plus camping fees. Pretty steep if you are only going for one day. Water is no problem as there are water spears along ocean beach that is more than plentintiful and drinkable. Bribie (off memory) is about $25. for a day permit ( and they do patrol and fine ). Whatever , have a great holiday
AnswerID: 31644

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 19:29

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 19:29
Hi Nobby:

Many thanks for that ... and yikes! You are right - bit steep for a day trip. I guess I will now redirect my tourist dollar and 80 Series to the hinterland. A few nice places to be found. I have the "Dirty Weekends" book for SE Qld so will go take a browse. Thanks for you help.

Gonna love this holiday no matter where I end up.

FollowupID: 22610

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 20:35

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 20:35
Jack
We strung 5 dirty weekends tours together earlier this year and had a week of wonderful driving from Bris to north of Gympie all through State forest trails and then returned to Bris via Kingaroy doing the 7 Mile Diggings drive before getting back home.
There are some lovely state forest camping areas out there. And you won't really have to spend much of your tourist dollar.
Have a good time
FollowupID: 22617

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 06:00

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 06:00
Hi Oskar:
Thanks - been scouring the "Dirty Weekend" book and it looks terrific. I think that is the "go" for me this trip. Will do Straddie and/or Moreton next trip when I will have more time. Got to see some people, so it is a quick trip, as my wife works (teacher) so we have to fit everything in to school hols. Aaarrgghh!!!
But it will be a terrific trip, of that I have no doubt. Greatly appreciate your advice and help.
FollowupID: 22637

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 07:12

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 07:12
Jack
We have done most of the trips in "THE BOOK" as it is known up here.
It really is a good thing.
And now that we've done that we are finally getting a GPS. It would have been very handy in following the books instructions as some of them can be a bit confusing. It would have avoided a few "navigational errors" and the subsequent "tension" :-( [... if you know what I mean].
My wife and I are both teachers (she graduated last year but has been a school librarian for years) so we always have difficulty taking holidays outside of school holiday periods (cheaper rates etc). We prefer the more remote, no facilities type of experience anyway. Not that I'm complaining about lack of holidays mind you.
We have found that June/July is the best time for Fraser or Moreton as far as not too many people goes.
No need to respond, just enjoy your time away.
FollowupID: 22639

Reply By: Member - NOBBY - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:27

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:27
Jack.. the barge fare is $130 plus $30 beach driving fee plus camping fees. Pretty steep if you are only going for one day. Water is no problem as there are water spears along ocean beach that is more than plentintiful and drinkable. Bribie (off memory) is about $25. for a day permit ( and they do patrol and fine ). Whatever , have a great holiday
AnswerID: 31645

Sponsored Links