Terrano, Navara & Pathfinder pre '96 owners.

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 21, 2003 at 19:32
ThreadID: 7336 Views:2124 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone else had a really annoying rattle in the left or right front door or pillar structure near the external mirror that is difficult to locate.
It is really annoying and I can't find where it is coming from so if any of you know what is and how to fix it please tell me.
I keep stopping and saying to the wife "you drive - I'm listening for where the rattle is coming from".
I feel a bit like the guy in the VW ad with the squeaky earing.
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dan - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:04

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 17:04
Hey Osker, I have the exact same problem only in the right hand side, sorry but i cant tell you where its coming from because im absolutely baffeled too.
Seems to me that its internal, like part of the interier plastic rubbing on something.
By the sounds of it your rattle is alot more annoying than mine because it doesnt really annoy me that much.

Good luck in finding it

p.s Great Desert pics!
how did the Terrano handle the desert? i've yet to really test mine in harsh
conditions.
And i see you have fitted a larger Radiator, did you have overheating
problems?

All the best....
Dan
Albany WA
AnswerID: 31683

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 20:15

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 20:15
Dan
The rattle in the front right in mine is not as bad as in the left. I hope someone has conquered it and can let us know. It is starting to drive me nuts.
The desert was great fun and the Terrano handled it with ease. We travelled east to west which presents the steeper side of the dunes to the vehicle. I think it was more fun doing it that way than our return west to east journey.
I have been driving sand for over 20 years so the desert sand wasn't too foreign to me. The big thrill was just being there in such a remote area.
The desert can only be described as "captivating".
The bigger radiator was because the thing seems to run too hot.I believe it is a fairly common thing with the TD27 nissans. Even some locally bought Navara's suffer the same problem. It still runs fairly hot but not as much as before.
Where does the needle sit on yours? Mine just sits left of vertical and climbs if I have to work the car hard.
Of to Fraser Is again on Saturday so I hope the Tailor are biting.
Cheers
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
FollowupID: 22615

Follow Up By: Dan - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 18:22

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 18:22
I can't wait untill my work contract ends as i'll be hitting the road and travelling across aus, exploring the coast including fraser island as i've heard so much about it. Not sure yet if i'll head inland tho..we'll see.
The hottest my terrano has got was on friday when i went driving up a soft beach(passing 2 bogged hilux's), the neddle hit half way and stayed there untill i got back on to the black stuff. Usually the neddle sits about 1/8 of the way across, don't know why it runs so cool, its really cold in Albany atm but it hardly changes when summer comes. My friend ownes a 90' model and it runs fairly hot and blows alot of smoke, runs well tho.

Another question for you......What type of roof rack do you have on? and how did you fit it?, i can't see a place where you could fasten one on.
thanks.
Dan
FollowupID: 22677

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:29

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:29
Dan
I wish I knew what the difference is between our models. I would really love to see that needle sit down there where yours does.
I am hoping to be in Perth in December for a week or so and we are quite keen to have a look around, I live in Albany Ck near Brisbane, coincidence .... spooky.
Regarding the roof-rack ... yeah you are right. To get a full length rack you have to be prepared to be drastic.
I removed the hood lining, gritted my teeth, held my breath, stuck my tongue in the corner of my mouth and drilled 12 holes (6 groups of 2 120mm apart) right through the roof and through the inner roof-rail flange (after making sure they were in the right spot of course).
Then I fitted 12, 8mm stainless, bolts up through the rail and the roof, with spacers between the roof-rail and the roof.
The spacers just transfer the load from the roof to the rails.
While I was there I filled up the pillars and everything I could get to with Tectyl rust proofing. The car is also "ERPS" protected.
I just cap the protruding bolts off with stainless dome-nuts when I'm not using the roof-rack. Looks neat enough.
The roof-rack carry bars are custom made to suit (I made them), and the rack/basket is also custom made by myself to suit (I work with tube bending equipment etc in my job).
Actually the system attracted quite a few positive comments out west because it looks good and is really solidly mounted.
I've had a commercially manufactured gutter mount system (a well known brand) slide forward and damage the roof on a previous car, so this one is the bees knees and it won't move.
I know what you're thinking about drilling holes in the roof but that's what they do to fit those track-mount models anyway and they actually do come loose and can peel back. I wouldn't trust one of them having seen the damage to the roof caused by the track coming loose.
Besides all of the weight just bears down on the roof ...dodgy.
I wouldn't hesitate to do it my way again because it makes such a solid load bearing mount.
If you are interested I can e-mail you some photos. My e-mail address is Oskarnatski@hotmail.com if you want to e-mail me direct.
I seem to make a habit of long explanatory responses, must be because I am a teacher by trade. (Design technology)
I wonder if there is a record for the most consistently long-winded forum user.
Anyway
Cheers
Oskar
FollowupID: 22690

Sponsored Links