Canopies and roofracks

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 734 Views:7686 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have just bought a hilux dual cab and need to buy a canopy. I have done some investigations and found that there are fibreglass canopies and canopies made from a plastic (ie. ARB sell these). Does anyone have any advice as to which are best for offroad driving (ie. dont crack etc..? Also, we are looking to get some roofracks and are not sure whether to get them on the canopy or on the car, whether or not to get a basket or a 'roof sack' or what other options are out there. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Paul - Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
Have a look at Lowline canopies in Melb they make metal ones that are on par in price with roof racks fitted. Dont fit racks on the cabin roof and the canopie together as there is too much movement between them and the roof will crack. The fibreglass canopies with racks fitted only carry 150kgs but the metal one carry 1000kgs, I just when through the exercise and went for the metal and couldn't be happier. The rear windows are impossible to open without the keys not like the fibreglass ones which dont take much to force open.
AnswerID: 2015

Follow Up By: Michelle Vanhinnisdael - Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks for the reply Paul - can you give me some idea of exactly where in Melbourne I can get these Lowline canopies - I have not come across these yet?
FollowupID: 702

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:00
Lowline canopies are at http://www.lowline-industries.com.au/ They have beeen around for decades and make very good equipment
AnswerID: 2030

Reply By: Graham - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00
Michelle,
ARB used to sell bars which attach to the tray around where the tornea (sic)cover would normally clips on the tray and extends up and over the canopy to the other side. Fit one towards the rear and another to the front and a basket can be fitted to the bars.
Hope this helps
Graham
AnswerID: 2088

Reply By: Ian - Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00
Michelle

I had a hilux with a fibreglass canopy - Flexiglass Challenge fitted when I bought it.

3 points: the canopies are best made up with racks.Mine had minor cracks (just in the fibreglass gel coat I believe, not structural).
Mine also never quite sealed around the tray and leaked water when it rained (just enough to wet the carpet lining the tray.

The previous owner had siliconed the whole lot up to try and seal it. Just a warning if the canopy is not properly installed - test this!

Ian
AnswerID: 2132

Follow Up By: Michelle - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Ian - I had wondered about leaks and other problems. Will definitely keep this in mind. Did Flexiglass fix the crack for you under warranty (they tell me they give a lifetime warranty that covers certain problems?)
FollowupID: 753

Sponsored Links