cruiser 80 series

Submitted: Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 07:49
ThreadID: 7342 Views:1467 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, am looking at 80 series this week, 4.2 diesel 1994, its got high klms 300,000
would Appreciate help in any probs i should be looking for...
thanks for your help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mrdesmo - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:30

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:30
Hi Steve,
In case you haven't heard already, check the big end bearings for noise or having been replaced, if its got log books I would be taking the sale a step further otherwise you'll never know if its been well maintained or not. Check the usual signs for off road use/abuse. Apparently the earlier 80's have been known to crack around the C pillar, and while I was on the hunt I spotted a few with cracks where the tailgate hinge bolts onto the body.
Heres a link to some valuable info
http://www.lcool.org/technical/80_series/80_series_technical.html

Happy hunting
AnswerID: 31654

Reply By: ross - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:39

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 11:39
Try and see a cold start not one that has been warmed up before you get there.
It should start straight away after the plug warm up with only a small puff of greyish smoke that should disappear.If it is blowing a lot of black smoke its probably the injectors and if it cant pass the 10 second test it will get a work order from the cops.
Ask for proof the timing belt has been changed and for proof of oil changes.
These engines last upto 500000 klm and beyond but only if they have been cared for.A remanufactured motor would be over $4000 fitted.
Get underneath and check the output shaft on the transfer case.With the g/box in neutral try and move the output up/down .If there is movement a rebuild maybe coming up and again is not cheap.
Check the front swivel joints for leakage .Its a $5-700 job plus discs if they re worn more than 1 mm
Check for power steering leaks.
If in doubt get someone who has experience in LC to check it out as the repair bills on these can really mount up at that age.
I imagine the asking price will be in the $14-$17k Dont pay anymore unless its an exceptional vehicle.

AnswerID: 31655

Sponsored Links