GQ patrol and rear bearings

Submitted: Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 13:41
ThreadID: 7350 Views:2918 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I know that the rear wheel bearings of the GQ are not a servicable item but if you have the time it's worth the inspection. I had a small leak on both axles not really worth the worry but thought I'd strip them down and replace the seals. Only a hour job each side. What surprised me was just how much grease had been washed out. There was virtually no grease left. After removeing the lock nut and washer you can easily repack the bearing while still on the shaft. I also noticed that a small amount of water had been able to get past the o-ring seal and start to rust the surface of the housing and lock nut. Certainly worth the afternoon to strip down and check the grease etc. Mine has done 240k and a 91 breed.

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 18:03

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 18:03
Ray,
Wheel bearings are a most important part of the drive train, to my way of thinking and I have a look at mine about every 10,000K. My front ones tend to loosen up periodically and then I go through the process of getting dirty and grease and tighten them. Trailer wheel bearings are also something one has to check on a regular basis. You always feel good once you done this job.
Cheers,
WillieNever a dull moment
AnswerID: 31690

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 20:51

Monday, Sep 22, 2003 at 20:51
Willie
I feel good after I've done any job, matter of fact I'm always checking something & am dissapointed if I can't find some thing to do. Ah well, guess I'll just have go and catch fish and cool my heels. Why was I born to work ??Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 22620

Reply By: Warpig - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 18:53

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 18:53
I check wheel bearings every 4000 km when on the road, more often when water ingress is likely. After LOTS of experience with the bloody things going west on me, I have changed from Castrol HTB grease to Valvoline Val Plex EP. This stuff is blue, and is supposed to be better in wet conditions. I have not had a wheel bearing problem since using it: it is WAY better at avoiding emulsification when water (invariably) gets past the seals. The local ARB place (Traction 4 at Artarmon) uses it, which could be considered as a reputable recommendation. You can get it at Auto One stores. I strongly recommend it to everyone, as someone who is very much 'over' changing wheel bearing by the side of the road...

Alll the best from Dr F.
AnswerID: 34072

Sponsored Links