Balladonia to Isralite Bay

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 07:35
ThreadID: 7366 Views:3544 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am in Victoria & have family in WA who I will be visiting around late April next year. I will be driving across (again) & they want me to meet them at Isralite Bay. I am driving a Ford F150 2wd with a Jayco Jayswan camper.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of the track from Balladonia.
I assume it is gravel/dirt. The biggest concern is probably sand & the width of the track.The F150 has Lsd. looking forward to any replies. Regards Tim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:06

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:06
G'day Tim, it's a bit rough and twisty the closer you get to Isralite Bay, but most of the time the sand is quite firm, there are a few washouts as well.

The narrow bits are around Mt Raggad and small rocks in the track some water on track also but always firm underneath. Drop your tyres a bit and you will have no worries getting through.

It's a slow track but good views on the way, fill up at Balladonia, the T/O is back up the road a bit.
AnswerID: 31729

Reply By: member-skippyking - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 23:23

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 23:23
G'day Tim,

We wanted to go this way in 2001 but the road was closed due to the heavy rains in the area. Anyway, before we left we got in touch with the ranger at Cape Arid NP who oversees the Israelite Bay area as well. I don't think this has changed?
The ranger at the time, Alan Rose, was very helpful and sent us loads of info on the tracks down from Balladonia.

CALM ranger Cape Arid NP
PO Box 185
Esperance WA 6450
Ph/fax 08 90750055

There were two publications -- Travel Notes Esperance to Balladonia (via Mt Ragged) compiled by John Winton

Travel Notes Esperance to Balladonia (via Parmango Rd) also by John Winton. This one is probably not of interest to you.

Both have maps, sights and historical info. Ask for info on Israelite Bay, they should have something.

Also check this site and with the ranger to see if the road is closed. Unless there is an unseasonal rain event you should be right at that time. It's pretty much the best time weather-wise to visit the South Coast of WA. Enjoy.

The salmon should be on the boil around then if you fish.

SK

Most human problems can be solved by an appropriate charge of high
explosive."
AnswerID: 31843

Reply By: Slammin - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 00:27

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 00:27
G'day Tim, I did that track in 2000 and yep it is a pretty commonsense track most of the way there is a stretch of limestone that I remember was rough with a lot of wheel placement and side to side swaying also there were quite a few big bogholes that were dry and they all had go-arounds anyway the track was pretty narrow in places (just from shrubs and branches) but the last sections were med-soft sand tracks with softish sand tracks for @ 80k leading back towards cape Arid. With low tyre pressures you may be fine but I would test or at least be pretty confidant in sand b4 I signed on the ...............

I assume your family have been b4? Ask them. or as above ask CALM.

I wouldn't want to put you off but I do remember it as being 4wd soft sand in a few places particularly the Daringbella Lake were the track has a short sharpish steep section with soft sand.

I would also consider what vehicle your family has and what assistance it could provide, maybe they could meet you and take the camper, which I'm pretty sure would leave you an easier trip.

Check the trip notes in the good old BP Explore Aust by 4wd.

have a good one.
AnswerID: 31846

Reply By: Dave ....Adelaide - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 02:22

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 02:22
Hi Tim i did that trip back in jan this year towing an onroad camper trailer behind my GQ patrol, i would have to say slammins post pretty much sums it all up . take it nice and easy and you shouldnt have any probs, it took us app 10hrs and we only used 4wd once with lower tire pressures , from memory that was fairly close to israelite bay . Anyway have a good trip , and if i can be of any assistance feel free to email me ..................Cheers DAVE
AnswerID: 31937

Sponsored Links