Back from the Cape

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:43
ThreadID: 7369 Views:1897 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Arrived home last week from a sucessful trip to the cape. Good weather, fishing, camping and met great people along the way.
Thanks to all that answered my questions. The boat racks worked fantastically without a problem. A couple of cracks in the tinnie though!
A a few little car probs. The trusty Rodeo had the shackle bracket rip off the chasis about 50km from Coen. Ended up having to drive to Musgrave Road House for the welder but 10km before we got there the bracket at the back of the fuel tank broke ripping out the wires for the fuel pump! Thank heavens for ratchet tiedowns which held the tank in place until I got back to Melb!! But we coped with everything as we always had cold beer:-)
All part of the adventure......looking forward to the next one.

Leroy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:09

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:09
Leroy, what were the roads like? Sounds like there may have been a few corrugations?
AnswerID: 31742

Follow Up By: Leroy - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:09

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:09
Hi Bob,

There were a few...hehe....The worst seemed to be the stretch of road south of the Jardine ferry. Generally though I thought the roads weren't too bad when you consider where you are and the amount of roads to maintain. Saw several trailer casualties also.

Leroy
FollowupID: 22656

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:53

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:53
We also got back a couple of weeks ago. Had a great trip, all in all the roads weren't too bad, just drive to the conditions.

we went frome Cairns out to Undara (bloody expensive - it was our second night after the 22 hr flight from Los Angeles so we decided to use the rail car accomodation $72.00 per person + $30.00 each for tea plus $35.00 for the tour)

Then up to OBrien's Creek Gem Fields to see the cycads, the scenery there is just breathtaking with the cycads against the red rocks. Visited Cobbold Gorge, thought it was pretty neat also, the Terry family are very nice.

We went across to Normanton and Kurumba, If you haven't got time to fish go to the Co-Op and stock up on prawns and Burra.

Up the development road to Gamboola Station, north to Kimba and Alice River Gold Fields, Stopped there to look at the hole and were promptly told to move on due to the Cyanide dams. The road from there back the Cape road is very rough with washouts and lots of sand and bull dust.

Then we went over to Chilli Beach, great place, friendly campers, highly recommend it. Came across Frenchmans Track with no drama, the Pascoe was only about .5m deep, a troopy got hung up on a rock coming out while we were there and we saw it a couple of days later with a blown diff, evidently it put a crack in it and the oil leaked out.

Saw more cycads on Batavia Downs and north of Moreton TS, stayed a couple of days at Bramwell, its well worth staying there, Wendy is great and very friendly, great cold beer in the cooler and hot showers.

While we were there a couple nearly killed themselves on the main road, bloodly idiot picked up a 94 landscuiser in Cairns to drive to the top, decided the best speed to beat the corrugations was 140kph, unfortunatey he didn't know about the dips and hit one at that speed and flew off the road, he snapped off a tree about 3m off the ground, his girlfriend got a broken arm, collarbone and was pretty shook up, still screaming at him an hour later evidently, the FDS took her to Weipa from Moreton TS so she had to endure to corrugations going back down the road.

The Telegraph Track was pretty tame this late in the season, plenty of choices at most crossings and not much water, Fruit Bat and Elliot Falls are worth a visit.

The Top was interesting. the Lodge is in complete disrepair and I doubt if it will be repaired and opened again.

We came back down through Lakefield NP to the Bloomfield Track to Cooktown, Great little town then onto Daintree and Cairns.

For those interested my CDMA handheld phone worked in Atherton, Georgetown, Croydon, Normanton, Kurumba, Coen, Lockhart, Chilli Beach, Bamaga, Siesa, Cooktown.

We hired a Landcruiser from Leisure Wheels in Cairns and would highly recommend them.

No punchures
No breakdowns
A front blinker fell out Just taped it back in
Wiped out a mirror on a tree up the Track.

We were suprised by the number of tour groups of 15-18 people in those bloody big Izusu 4WD trucks with buses on the back. I guess it was fun for them.

We found the new HEMA Map very accurate but Moon's book outdated even though it was the latest edition.

AnswerID: 31772

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 18:41

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 18:41
Bruce I am interested to know what is out of date in Rons book . The cape is a great place and I cant wait to start next years tours.
All the best
Eric
4wd Tag Along Adventures
Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 22681

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:25

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:25
Leroy dont tell Goeff & jan in question 7392 you had a good time. Because you must be in that 2 % that like it.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
AnswerID: 31833

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 00:05

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 00:05
I couldn't believe thier post! We also went up for the fishing and found it fantastic. Just that alone is worth the drive. But I would of loved a bit more time to get off the beaten track. I supose we didn't just go up for the drive!

Leroy
FollowupID: 22716

Sponsored Links