Pathfinder L/H engine pipe failure

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 10:49
ThreadID: 7373 Views:1779 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1999 3.3L V6 Pathfinder and at 86,000 km while on a recent trip outback the L/H engine pipe broke off about 6 inchs from where it bolts onto the exhaust manifold. The pipe appears to have just bleep tered like it was made from some
fragile material. The pipe shows no sign of wear or other damage, it
just broke like a bit of glass or porcelain.

Wondering if any other Pathfinders have experience this failure?

Any feedback welcome, thankscya
Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: yarda - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:06

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:06
It sounds like it is a cast section probably made of cheap cast iron and might have had a porous defect in it, but steel pipe can also suffer stress cracks and fractures. If it is still under warranty you can gat it replaced with a genuine part or it means you have now got a good excuse to get a decent set of headers fitted.

The failure was most likely caused by excessive vibration in the exhaust pipe combined with the thermal stress from the expansion and contraction of the system, if you are getting any exhaust work done it would be worthwhile getting a flex-joint installed to take out some of the problems. Don't know if this helps you at all...Brad
AnswerID: 31770

Follow Up By: Member - Graham - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:59

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:59
Thanks Brad,
Waht you've posted makes some sort of sence to me. Its out of warranty but I've spoken to Nissan and looking for 'some ammo' before I take the matter any further. cya
Graham
FollowupID: 22671

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:46

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:46
Graham,
Interesting, may have been a casting defect as mentioned when you look at the crack is it all fresh breaks or is there evidence that the pipe was leaking prior to the failure, could be thermal shock if you did any water crossings, this could of started the crack off, if the pipe has been bent somewhere else this could of put a preload on the pipe. Castings bleep ter, piping tends to crack and then bend with a lot of noise evident before the pipe actually breaks off, I've found. Could of been a lot of things, I haven't experience of this particular model just general metaly bits. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 31807

Follow Up By: Member - Graham - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:23

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:23
Martyn
Thanks for the feedback, the pipe bleep tered pretty quickly with what began as just a very slight leak noise noticable to a 100km later complety bleep tering. Its never been thru deep water crossings and none for thousands of kms prior to the failure. It would appear its cracked then bleep tered, on the bend 6ins from where it bolts to the manifold.cya
Graham
FollowupID: 22733

Reply By: GLAYVA MAN(bendigo) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:46

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 22:46
gday graham.
ive got 3lt gq 350000ks i bought it at 300000ks and had never been of road a while ago i did a river crossing and the engine pipe cracked big time just after thatjamieson wild cat
AnswerID: 31839

Follow Up By: Member - Graham - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:27

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:27
GLAYVA MAN
Thnkas ofr the feedback, Martyn also wrote about water crossings, interesting and your post gives support to that theory, but this has not been thru deep water xings, and no water xings for a few thousand km prior to the failure. The pipe where it broke seemed very brittle like it was casting, but its not its pipe.cya
Graham
FollowupID: 22734

Sponsored Links