made to measure offroad trailer ideas???

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:00
ThreadID: 7374 Views:2287 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
The next project is to get a custom made off road trailer.

Here are my ideas.... I'd love comments.

First the problems. My current offroader is too narrow. I can't see it for backing. This is really crazy as I wag it back and forth. Sometimes on small tracks... it's pretty hairy!!! I also can't see over the top through the back window..... so the qualities I want:

Long enough tow bars to avoid damage on full jack knife [I mean when I go full lock on purpose of course] and to make backing easy.

Wide enough to see in the o'side Rview mirrors.

L'cruiser wheels and good clearance.

A back drop down ramp to wheel my wheelie bins up. [I'll explain if you really want] .. sort of like a motor bike, or go cart trailer.

Lockers cupboards in the front.

The whole roof [a rack on top] to lift up towards the front, so that you can walk around nearly upright in the back.

A universal coupling [O'briens, orac etc]

So ... I can weld.... Do I get the base trailer made and do up the rest....

I started making some sketches and thought why not ask the experts out there throw in some ideas.

PS. This is not really a camper trailer..... but multipurpose

Cheers Royce

Royce www.funshow.com.au
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:52

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:52
Royce,

Sounds like you've given it plenty of thought. A few comments/suggestions:
- Don't make the trailer any wider the your vehicle or you run the risk of ripping off mudguards etc on narrow tracks (yes, I've seen this happen). Ideally, make the trailer so that it tracks the same as your 4WD.
- Think about incorporating j/can and gas bottle holders as they really maximise your storage space (and you can never have too much IMHO).
- Have you thought about including features like a water tank and kitchen??? These type of things are really what sets c/trailers apart from tents and makes life so much easier when setting up and in camp.
- Make sure you "balance" the trailer. ie. If going for a storage box on the drawbar, offset the weight of the loaded box by say a water tank to the rear of the axle.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 31746

Follow Up By: JB - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:14

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:14
Melissa, or anyone else...............What is the recommended or safe weight at the hitch point for a camper trailer on a 60 series cruiser?

Thanks in advance

FollowupID: 22667

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:28

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 15:28
JB,

Absolutely no idea but I can tell you my folks towed their VERY heavily laiden caravan all round Aust for about 8 years behind their 60 series LC and had absolutely no problems. Used a Hayman-Reese towbar.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 22669

Reply By: Member - Phil [Sunshine Coast] - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:06

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:06
JB,
gidday, I think, that the aim is to have about 10% of the total trailer weight on the towball, my trailer, with tinnie , o/board & 2 spares inside came in at 960kg.,I had 85 on the d/bar, also a 60s.But I dont know what the legals are, or insurance , might pay to check!! somebody out there must know?
cheers, Phil
AnswerID: 31798

Reply By: Member - Oskar(Bris) - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:58

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:58
Royce
As Melissa has said - make sure the wheel-base is the same width as your towing vehicle or you will find that the trailer keeps flicking from side to side in ruts.
This can cause serious accidents.
You could also consider making it with a tilt drawbar for trips to the dump or picking up top-soil or mulch at the nursery. It's not difficult.
It may be best starting with a trailer already registered and then modifying that.
I bought a clapped out registered trailer ($50) and then modified it to suit with removeable sides (for a small boat) tilt action and an extendable drawbar (for long stuff and the boat). The mud-guards are welded to the chassis (like a boat trailer)rather than the box sides.
Happy welding
OskarMrs Oskar on Big Red
AnswerID: 31810

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 21:22

Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 21:22
G'day Royce,
Click on my pic and see my trailer from two angles. Is this the type that you are after? Mine was built by Modern Trailers in Adelaide. Stock standard, heavy duty with LC hubs and wheels. The first owner made up the canopy, the next owner fitted some interior fittings, I painted it and fitted a TREG tow hitch and have fitted a bed and other things inside. Remember that if you go over 750kg GTM you have to fit brakes and that Will be a pain. Happy building!
Cheers,
WillieNever a dull moment
AnswerID: 31813

Sponsored Links