Travel to Oodnadatta

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 738 Views:1313 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
We are wanting to travel to oodnadatta from the south in a Triton 2wd High Clearance vehicle Does any one think we can do it???? Also what would the sand be like or the mud. This is my first trip in these conditions. I have travelled around Stewarts brook and Barrington top in NSW but never in sand and Bulldust.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike- Saturday, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:00
Phil, the Oodnadatta track holds no problems for your vehicle. The track from Maree is well made and quite safe, with no sand. In times of wet weather, some river crossings may present a problem, but these times are rare. the alternate route via Woomera and Roxby Downs, on the Borefield track, are likewise. Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 2023

Reply By: Brian - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
I travelled the Oodnadatta Track two years ago towing a Camp-O-Matic camper trailer in a VS Commodore Station Wagon with no problems at all. It was early in winter and admittedly the road had been graded but I have since travelled many outback roads and find most of the well known "Tracks" are like a highway. The Tanami is another one that is 2WD user friendly early in the season. Just take care and watch for dust holes and water over the road if there has been recent rain. Enjoy your trip as the Oodnadatta area is great to see.
AnswerID: 2049

Reply By: Chel - Friday, Feb 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 15, 2002 at 01:00
We travelled the Oodnadatta last year (2001) in July towing a camping trailer with a nissan patrol
very easy. It was dry and appeared fairly well maintained. We did'nt encounter any bulldust.
Have a good trip
AnswerID: 2119

Follow Up By: Phil - Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 17, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks to every one who has replied to my question. I have asked a few people here in Alice Springs and it seems we will have an enjoyable trip.
FollowupID: 743

Sponsored Links