GQ transfer case question

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 23, 2003 at 20:17
ThreadID: 7387 Views:1799 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
Just wondering is anyone knows when the series 2 transfer case was installed in the GQ. The reason I ask is the oil changed from a hypoid oil to Autran DX 2 when it went to the series 2 case. All I can find is that it was in 1992, mine was built in May 1992, any ideas, the case presently has a hypoid oil in it I want to make sure this is right. Is there any external marking or shapes I can look for to identify which one I have? Thanks in anticpation. Keep the shiny side up
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: michael - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 10:30

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 10:30
Martyn, Gregory's manual states series 11 introduced early 1992. Mine is July build date and I've used Dexron 11,( now Dexron 111) since new. There are many who are not aware but on another forum a seemingly knowledgable author advised either auto trans fluid or gear oil would be OK.
Good luck, DRC
AnswerID: 31858

Reply By: David N. - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 12:39

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 12:39
Good question Martyn.
However I suspect either would be OK, as the lubricating properties of ATF are quite remarkable.
I put some in a mates volvo gearbox many years ago as the synchro rings were stuffed...
Result- gearbox worked better than new, no noise or other problems even after many years.
Still a good question though, which I can't answer...
Cheers
AnswerID: 31877

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 20:30

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 20:30
Forumites,
Being in the oil business I'll get more information about the oil and submit a later post about this, I do know that DX 3 does not have as good anti foaming properties as the DX 2 I'm sticking with the DX 2 in the power steering for as long as I can still get it. I thought it might of been an easy answer that I was simply missing something with reagrd to identifying the series 2 transfer case. Thanks for the responses to date. I'll be back................
AnswerID: 31909

Sponsored Links