Around Australia in 100 days?

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 09, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 739 Views:2179 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
we´re planning a tour with 2 Land Rovers.
Arrival by ferry at Perth. Northbound to Broome - Darwin; then to Cairns, down to Sydney; Southcoast to Adelaide, meet the midpoint at Alice and finally back to Perth.
Tracks: Gibb River Road, Gulf Savannah Track, Oodnadatta Track
Tourdate: July till October
And now my simple Question: Can we make this in 100 days without having a F1-race or a fast Ralley?
Thanks for answers
Tom
www.greenlandy.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Nicholson - Sunday, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 10, 2002 at 01:00
Tom,the short answer to your question is Yes - it can be done, but you could be be pushed for time at some of the more intersting places to be seen. What you really have to consider is just what you want to SEE in that time. Your brief itinerary is interesting, and covers some of the best outback areas this country can offer. Search this, and other similar websites [this is the best one]for all the information you can find on the areas you will pass through, and then set your itinerary accordingly. Some new travellers to the outback think that after 6 weeks they have seen it all. Older hands realises that after 6 years - you never will! Decide what YOU want to see, and then go and enjoy!!!! We will be on the road going anti-clockwise across a similar route to yours at about the same time - hopefully our paths will cross.I will email details of our trip to your website. regards.
p.s. you have a very interesting website - would be of interest to all Landy followers [those that read German anyway :)].
AnswerID: 2029

Reply By: Joe - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
Tom,

I have to agree with the first response - Yes, you can drive all round Australia in 100 days. From my rough estimate it will be around 20,000 klms and you should easily enough achieve the 200 klms a day average.

Doesn't leave you much time to see anything except through the windows though.

If you are committed to doing this trip then I would recommend that you pick out some areas that would especially interest you and spend time there. Treat the distances between as purely transport sections otherwise you will run out of time.

If you would like to share your particular interests (desert/rainforest/remote areas/beach/etc)I am sure that contributors to this forum would be more than happy to help you with advice.

Good luck.

Joe
AnswerID: 2035

Follow Up By: Michelle - Exploroz - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
Tom, I agree with Joe in that you should consider picking out the highlights and spend extra time there and then make up for lost time by travelling a few days/week of long distances as transport sectors.
FollowupID: 717

Reply By: tim - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

Tom
Without raining on your parade, 100 days would be pushing it. Australia is massive in comparison to European countries and you can drive for days without seeing anybody.
You maight be better of shortening the journey a bit and having a few days here and there.
Whatever you do, listen to locals and take any risks.
Tim
AnswerID: 2050

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

Tom:
This will be a very big trip !! : you will spend most of your time driving, probably on bitumen, and you will only see the coast from the road, which is really not worth the long haul, especially from Germany ! - as I see it, I would suggest you scale down your plans a little, and concentrate on a select number of areas to visit in more detail... As you are arriving in June and leaving in October suggest you look at the areas ( in aline drawn from Perth to Brisbane ) and travelling around the coastal areas then back across the centre from Rockhampton to Alice Springs then the Gunnbarrel Highway to Perth.. This way you will see the best areas to visit at the best time for weather and road conditions etc ..

To enjoy this country you should spend time in areas, the nature of each camp spot is unique, and is what makes travelling in Australia the outstanding experience that it is, I have lived in 4 other continents and have not experienced anything like this place...viel grusse

steve
AnswerID: 2056

Sponsored Links