SWB landcruiser Lift kit

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 14:55
ThreadID: 7401 Views:3636 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Have just purchased BJ71 (Jap Import) and am wanting to put a suspension kit in it. I am looking at between 2 - 3 inch. Has anyone perfromed similar on a SWB/MWB 70's series. If so what was the approximate cost? Were there any problems with driveline vibration etc?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:40

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 17:40
any short wheel base well give you problemas on a 3 " lift diff angles need to be spot on . droping G/boxes and re weldind diff brackets is a must , Max lift withought this is probably 2 "Craigs hut 2003
AnswerID: 31901

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:13

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:13
Ive been researching this myself to do a ift on my MWB 73.If you go 3in you may be breaking the law as 2in is the new limit .Im not sure about all states but most new modifications rules are becoming nation wide. Now the cost for springs will set you back about $6-700 for bottom of the range,but Ive been told these are imported from SE Asia and can be rough riding.Some of the big names are incredibly expensive and I reckon they are overcharging to cover all the expensive advertising and franchising costs.I did find one company that proclaims to have all Australian BHP steel springs at $790 a set that will give you a 2in lift and a soft ride.(Dobinsons QLD) Note , all aftermarket springs will give you 2in . You will need $80 for the 8 U bolts,$50 for neoprene bushes(24),4x shockies $90+ ea.
Now on top of that you will need to decide on the type of shackle ,greasable or standard ,pins that go inside the bushes and rubber spacers that fit onto some of the supension /steering gear.
Providing your steering and other mechanicals are ok you wont have much change out of $1400 if you fit it yourself. On top of that you will need a wheel alignment at $50 and if you want someone to do it for you they all quoted $2-250 + gst
AnswerID: 31961

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:14

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:14
Ive been researching this myself to do a ift on my MWB 73.If you go 3in you may be breaking the law as 2in is the new limit .Im not sure about all states but most new modifications rules are becoming nation wide. Now the cost for springs will set you back about $6-700 for bottom of the range,but Ive been told these are imported from SE Asia and can be rough riding.Some of the big names are incredibly expensive and I reckon they are overcharging to cover all the expensive advertising and franchising costs.I did find one company that proclaims to have all Australian BHP steel springs at $790 a set that will give you a 2in lift and a soft ride.(Dobinsons QLD) Note , all aftermarket springs will give you 2in . You will need $80 for the 8 U bolts,$50 for neoprene bushes(24),4x shockies $90+ ea.
Now on top of that you will need to decide on the type of shackle ,greasable or standard ,pins that go inside the bushes and rubber spacers that fit onto some of the supension /steering gear.
Providing your steering and other mechanicals are ok you wont have much change out of $1400 if you fit it yourself. On top of that you will need a wheel alignment at $50 and if you want someone to do it for you they all quoted $2-250 + gst
AnswerID: 31962

Follow Up By: BJ 71 - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:25

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 11:25
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the info, you have obviously researched the topic more than I have. I too am a bit sceptical about purchasing some one of the big name kits as the costs seem excessive. I will have to do a bit more shopping around and clarify the Vicroads regulations for suspension lifts.
FollowupID: 22798

Follow Up By: GLAYVA MAN(bendigo) - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 23:54

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 23:54
gday bj71.
in regards to vic roads on lifts you can legally as high as you like with out having to manufacture/alter parts. diff mounts ect to allow the lift but you ae allowed to fit longer brake lines so your probly looking at around 3" jamieson wild cat
FollowupID: 22865

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 16:47

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 16:47
Gday
Does your 71 have coil or leaf? Never heard of an import 71, seen a 70 series Prado before (with coils i believe), hense the question.
PS i had an extra leaf put in my bj70 some years ago to lift it 2 inches, and it went anywhere. The short wheelbase doesnt need a large lift unless you want to fit bigger diameter tyres.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 31993

Follow Up By: BJ 71 - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:10

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 11:10
Hi there,
Vehicle is a BJ 71. Same as BJ 70 except it has a 13BT motor. Yes it is leaf springs all round. A small lift of around 2 inches was all I was after. The current springs are pretty tired, so I I am not sure if adding another leaf to the existing spring set is the best option for me.
FollowupID: 22957

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 13:28

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 13:28
Your springs are made of good quality steel, so they are easily rearched, the extra leaf keeping the arch and lift, but if you can afford it, the best option IMHO is to buy a complete suspension package from a reputable source, OME would be a good allround suspension, because you have the option of lift height aswell as load carrying capacity and shock valving to choose from.
I found the extra leaf made the suspension firmer.
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
FollowupID: 22963

Sponsored Links