mars mesh

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 16:33
ThreadID: 7405 Views:1525 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello,
I have been trying to locate a source for "Mars Mesh". It is the army steel grid mesh that is used to make tracks in boggy conditions. They are normally in lengths about 6 ft long, pressed metal with holes punched in them.

What I really want is an aluminium version. I saw some once on the front of a landrover in Kalgoorlie. But this vehicle originated in europe ( one of the world ) trekking 4wdrivers.

Thanks
Ross
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: daren - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 00:32

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 00:32
Ross
Saw some in a disposals store a few years ago, aussies i think. Dont think they were alloy though, but didn't have a close look.
Try the yellow pages for an alluminium suplyer, they have alsorts of good stuff.
AnswerID: 31934

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:40

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:40
The primary use of this "marsy matting" was for laying down on remote war time airstrips.

But great for ramps in boggy conditions. The Alloy version would have been made up. I have also seen a device which looks a bit like a long ladder made in aluminium but was almost as long as the vehicle.

You would need to get one pressed out of sheet alloy and welded to rails.
AnswerID: 31947

Reply By: Charlie - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 17:02

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 17:02
If you look in the yellow pages under Metals - Expanded, there are all sorts of sheets that might be suitable although some might be a bit rough on the hands. I have some srtips of aluminium 5 bar plate but even this is likey to bend if the if you try to bridge any gaps but sometimes its OK for mud etc.
Regards Charlie
AnswerID: 31997

Sponsored Links