Coffs Harbour Trips

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 20:45
ThreadID: 7415 Views:4814 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys

Looking to do a little bit of 4X4 and camping West of Coffs Harbour NSW. Does anybody know of any good tracks/camp spots etc around the area. The more remote the better.

Thanks in advance

PT
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: haze - Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 21:15

Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003 at 21:15
Check it out with State Forests, they are actually one gov. department that encourages you to go see, camp, bushwalk whatever. Also happy for you to take your dog along too. Only concern would be narrow roads with log trucks. Lived there many years ago, back of Loanna, Moleton, lots of old gold mines, carpet snakes,ticks & leeches!! Bring back those good old days.
cheers haze
AnswerID: 31914

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:19

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:19
There are a few good tracks in the Wedding Bells Stte Forest, about 5k north of Coffs T/L to Bruxner Park then onto Wedding Bells Forest drive. Best to get a map from Forestry at Coffs.

As for camping there are a couple of spots, you have just got to find them, and only bush camping.
AnswerID: 31944

Reply By: JimB - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:50

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:50
G'day Paul,

Great drive is if you go up Bruxner Park Rd (2nd rd on left noth of Big Banana), go to top of hill and turn right opposite the turnoff to the lookout. All great views from up there over the coast. The track is called the Rover trail, runs around the rim of Kororo Basin and comes out at Gaudrons Rd. Magic views right up the coastline to Woolgoolga. Almost opposite you can turn into Settlers Forest Rd easy run, then follow forestry tracks right up past Woolgoolga and come out at Corindi. Maybe 3hrs easy driving. Nice countryside, bangalow palms etc.

Nice spot for a day visit or for camping is called Station Creek in Yuraygir Nat'l Park. Turn right off highway at the bottom of Dirty Creek Range (about 40 k's nth of Coffs) and into coast. Lot more developed now but when we used to go in there the dolphins would come and play in the surf, water in the bay was crystal clear (oh getting all choked up now).

Georges Gold Mine up near Ulong is worth a visit too.

JimB
AnswerID: 31948

Follow Up By: haze - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 18:58

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 18:58
Yes, station crk., a great spot. When we used to go fishing there in the 60's (top jewie beach) it was all being sand mined. Now full of NPWL restrictions because its a "pristine" area. I reckon with a backhoe I could dig up that many discarded dozer track chains, steel cable, dredge and sluice stuff one could retire on the scrap value. North coast NP's, Pristine? Bar Humbug, I say!
cheers and good exploring haze
FollowupID: 22842

Reply By: Member - Vince - Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 20:04

Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 20:04
Hi Paul.
If u wish to travel a further north to Grafton there a afew good spots west on the Mann River & the Old Glen Innes road.If u are interested contact me on:vince@sterlingmicros.com.au
Vince
AnswerID: 32023

Follow Up By: Member - Vince - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 21:14

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 21:14
Paul.
I sent an email on 26th Sept. Did u receive it?
Vince
FollowupID: 23111

Sponsored Links