Mantles for pressure lamps

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 743 Views:2285 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The recent light thread got me thinking. I always used to use gas laterns, and really like the Coleman dual fuel range (I have a duel fuel stove). The reason I stopped using them was every time I stopped for the night, the mantle was broken, and they are a pain to tie, etc. So I finally gave up.

Does anyone have any experience/bright ideas that can keep a mantle going for more than a day. I've tried the packing in towels etc, but they still broke :(
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
Steve,
It must be either your driving or your vehicle's suspension.
I have a coleman dual fuel (with two mantles) and they have been lasting for ages, on a recent 1500km trip through the victorian Alps mostly on 4wd tracks one of them developed a crack...
I keep mine in the green padded coleman bag and the secrets are: Keep them upgright and use genuine coleman mantles.
Will
AnswerID: 2044

Reply By: Mark Wilson - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

I agree with Will. I have a Tilley lantern and use genuine tilley mantles. I pack it upright in a foam lined box I made and I cannot remember the last time I replaced a mantle but it would be 12 months ago at least. I heard a story once of a bloke who recommended spraying the mantle with hair spray prior to putting it away. That, he claimed made the whole mantle less brittle and more able to absorb vibration.

Regards Mark
AnswerID: 2046

Reply By: Keith Brooker - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

The hair spray trick really does work. A quick spray (after mantle has cooled down!!) and the mantle will withstand a lot of rough treatment. the laquer simply burns off when you relight it.
AnswerID: 2048

Reply By: Grant Taylor - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Steve, we have a Gasmate lantern (model 2012) and the factory supplied mantles were absolutely useless. They would get a hole between lightings even when there was no movement of the lantern. Consequently the glass cracked on the 2nd lighting. Rang Ranger back and said the supplied mantles weren't strong enough, we would like a new glass. No go, they said you should check the mantle every time you light it. Your fault. We were going thru mantles and a second new glass, very p###ed off. Went into Camping Australia in Fremantle and mentioned the prob, no worries, try these,it's all I (the owner) use. Bought 2x packs of 3, thinking we would need them all out in the sticks. Put the 1st one in and it's still there having travelled over 1000's of Km's of rough roads and tracks, not packed carefully. Don't know if this type will fit your Coleman but it is a "Companion LM 176 medium single tie". Tough as. Hope you find one to fit. Grant
AnswerID: 2054

Reply By: Michael- Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
Steve, The hair spray really works.
AnswerID: 2073

Sponsored Links