Oztent

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 25, 2003 at 21:21
ThreadID: 7439 Views:2162 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hey Cocka can I talk to you about your Oztent.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 22:50

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 22:50
Yes.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 32151

Follow Up By: Harry - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 22:40

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 22:40
G,daye Cocka, read the reply I sent to myself.
Looks like I hit the wrong button.
FollowupID: 23039

Reply By: Harry - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 22:03

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 22:03
Thanks for replying Cocka,

1/ Would you know if Oztent use local canvas ie/ not chinese
2/ Have any of your inner poles ever bent ie/ in windy conditions
3/ Do the sides blow in much in a wind
4/ how long is the awning, there are no measurements on the brochure
5/ Do you have the Oztent fly, if so does it stand up to the wind.

The length packed up does not concern me as it will fit on the floor in the back of my troopy.
Also, how long have you had yours, would you buy another one.
See how you go with that lot, I'll be looking forward to your feedback.
Did you have a good weekend :>)
Regards "H"
AnswerID: 32262

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:49

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:49
No probs with any Q's. Always happy to help.
A's in order:

1/ Mine is an Italian poly-canvas I think they called it. They don't use a heavy Birkmire canvass as in camper trailers etc. I know they moved away from the Italian one but am pretty sure it's not Chinese, although it may be Asian.
2/ No. I have been in some pretty nasty places up on the east coast ranges in horrific cond's (gale force) and suffered no damage. On this occasion a caravan down the track from us lost his awning during the night - gone, just got ripped off and another crowd in nylon tents all got soaked. We suffered no damage or water leaks but I took the precaution of securing the top guy ropes to substantial logs, I think they call it battening down the hatches.
I usually always use the 4 ground corner pegs to secure the base - the back guy ropes if I'm putting out the awning (they pull in op directions) - the side guy ropes if it looks like being windy.
3/ No, the framework keeps the in place, there's a couple of velcroe straps that hold them in place (on mine)
4/ It's as log as the tent and comes out 2 mts. Rolls up along the top edge. We don't always use it, depends on temps and how long we stay put. If it rains its great to have out but make sure you lower the outer (front) edge to allow runnoff - if your using the polls simply lower then and retighten the ropes. I like to tie the awning out to tree branches if I can, keeps the poles out of the way.
5./ Yes it's great. Always use it in rainy & dewey condts. The side flaps are good to shelter stuff under. Make sure rain can run off & it doesn't touch the top of the tent. It zips on along where the awning rolls up - zip it on before putting the awing out or put it on after by pushing the zip across with one of the support poles then peg it out until neat. - it doesnt take long to get it right.
Nothing more frustrating than waiting for the tent to dry in the morning when you want to get going - just give the fly a shake & your Ok to pack up.

We also have a side screen which is good for privacy & giving a cosy corner when there's a cool breeze - used only when necessary. We always put Sarlon (shade cloth) down under the tent and out the front - the more the better.

I spoke with a chap named John in the Sydney office re a prob with a zip and they were great with their service. We'll fix it no prob he says. Ours is the Trakkar model.

FollowupID: 23065

Reply By: Harry - Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 21:40

Wednesday, Oct 01, 2003 at 21:40
Great stuff Cocka, just the sort of info. I was after.
Tell me, how long have you had your Oztent, would you buy another one?
Did you say ,on another message you replied to, that you were from Wangaratta?
Keep in touch
H
AnswerID: 32547

Sponsored Links