carrying fishing rods

Submitted: Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 11:36
ThreadID: 7449 Views:4048 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Thank you all for a very entertaining and informative site. We are very new to the world of 4wd and have read your comments and discussion with great interest.

We are going to Fraser Island in the first week of October and would like to take some fishing rods with us. The question is - how to achieve this without fitting a roof rack? Carrying them inside the car is not an option as we have a cargo barrier fitted. I believe that it is possible to attach the plastic piping to the gutter - any advice or ideas? thanks, Dzintra
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:00

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:00
I've seen some clamps you can get which fasten to the guttering. The other end is about 3 inches long, sits horizontal to the roof and has 3 or 4 grooves for holding fishing rods. Places like Kmart, auto outlets used to sell (probably still do). Failing that, good tackle stores might carry them.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 32088

Follow Up By: Paul from Roof Rack World - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:20

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 09:20
Have a look at this....should be available in Australia in the next few months.......
http://www.thule.com/templates/THULE_ProductPage.asp?id=49568
FollowupID: 22954

Reply By: paul - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:09

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:09
When i was in the UK a couple years ago i watched rich brits in Rangies tearing round lakes at over 100km/hr in Scotland with four rods on the roof but no rook racks ? on closer inspection they had a suction cup thing at one end and another at the other end. I went to the nearest fishing and hunting shop and bought a set for about AUS$70, pretty expensive for what i got. But they work and don't come off. Don't work well with alveys though so these days i just use one rack down the back on which goes a rocket holder and down the front end of the roof i have one front suction cup on which the rods rest. Been to Fraser and up Coolooa beach quite a few times and no problems. just haven't seen them in australia. but its an idea. have had no discernable drop in fuel consumption running just a single roof rack at the rear end of the roof.
AnswerID: 32091

Reply By: Moose - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 13:04

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 13:04
How about roof bars instead of a proper rack?
AnswerID: 32100

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 15:51

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 15:51
What about the 'soft' roof racks used by surfers?

They are a covered foam pad that goes across the roof, tie down loops sewn into the cover, web straps go through the car (between the door rubber) to fasten it to the car.

You can then strap on a light load to the roof.
AnswerID: 32118

Reply By: Hughey - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 17:41

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 17:41
Crack onto this.

http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/store/product.asp?ID=718
AnswerID: 32129

Follow Up By: paul - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 21:29

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 21:29
my suction version i bought in the UK, as per above reply, is no doubt the same suction design but it was shaped more like a " T " with the suction cup at the bottom of the T so that the rods were kept across the top of the T by rubber type bands. I think a more clever and simplistic design than the one in the link above but hard to tell from this range. Dunno why no-one imports them here, maybe they do somewhere, hell of a lot cheaper than buying a bull bar for your rod holder
FollowupID: 22940

Follow Up By: tim_s - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 01:22

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 01:22
I have these type of suction caps that I use for rods. Works well ONLY IF you do not have the reels attached, otherwise say goodbye to your roof paint. I used them for carrying the rods to and from home, where I can fit them under the roof racks which holds a basket.. When at camp, I have a bracket which bolts onto the roof basket which holds the rods with reels still attached. This systems works well for me. A word of warning though, not expect the suction to last more than a day or 2. I have found by bitter experience, that the suction can let go! Damn! I now redothe suction everyday if I am travelling for a few days.

Tim
FollowupID: 22952

Reply By: brian - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:57

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:57
Got back from frazer yesterday,people still catching taylor but heaps of weed on frazers beach,no weed on mainland beach at inskip point,try to have time to fish from mainland if possible,have great trip,btw we put rods with reels on roofrack with one ocky strap.

have previously attached 12 inches of pvc tube to roof rack as rod holders,also seen pvc rodholders attached to tow ball,good fishing.
AnswerID: 32216

Reply By: Member - Dzintra - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 18:28

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 18:28
Thank you - your suggestions have been most helpful. I found the suction caps at Kmart today but will investigate all the other options before we go. Unfortunately, won't have time to fish from the mainland - will have to do the best we can on Fraser. cheers, Dzintra
AnswerID: 32236

Sponsored Links