Which Roof-Top Camper

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 745 Views:8872 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, We are looking at purchasing a roof-top camper, We see a lot of photoes in mags but no brand names. The only make that we have had any info on is the Aussie Traveller. We would welcome any feedback, pro's/con's etc. Thanks in advance. Graham
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
Graham,

We have a rooftop tent called Howling Moon which are made in South Africa. Very easy to put up, well made and comfortable for 2 people. for details. http://www.jurgensci.co.za/Howlingmoon/Rooftoptents.htm
Aussie distributor
www.opensky.com.au

AnswerID: 2053

Reply By: Stephen - Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
Graham:
You are thinking about an 'Aussie Traveller' roof top tent .. They are made in Brisbane and are --i believe the only ones left in the business, because as you have worked out, they make the best, and all others have gone to the wall ... Give then a call, (07) 3868-3868 is their number, they don't need to advertise they rely on their delighted customers to assist them in promoting their product ( they make lots of other things beside)
You won't be disappointed with this product, we speak from 4 years of long trips in Outback over 40k's in the bush! Got to admit, we looked long and hard before we dished out the dough !!!

steve

Steve
AnswerID: 2055

Follow Up By: Greg - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:00
I have owned a Shipp Shape Tent for 12 years until last year when i sold it due to the birth of our 1st child.
we have slept in it in snow, tropics, desert and all states of australia in our travels and in our opinion it is the best. It never leaked or blew down. 30 seconds and it is up and 2 minutes and it is down.
What makes it better than an Aussie Traveller is that when it is 1st up the cover hangs down, so that you then have a choice of hang down if overnight stay or if required put up as awning. As i understand it withthe Aussie Traveller you are stuck with the poky little annexe off the side as it is permanantly attached walls and all whereas with the Shippshape it is more open and airy (better in the tropics) and if required zip the sides in.
Your only problem is that i don't think Shippshape are still going, however there are plenty out there and som eare being sold 2nd hand i sold ours for $1400 and although the cover may have needed a reproofing the inside ie. the part you sleep in was still as new (soft and supple).
My advice is look for or advertise as a wanted to buy for a 2nd hand and get a Penthouse model as it has windows on all 4 sides for fantastic ventilation. Ijust wish they had a family model.
FollowupID: 729

Reply By: Carol - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2002 at 01:00
Graham - we recently puchased a Howling Moon roof top ten, and are extremely happy with the tent so far. Plenty of room for two persons with some to spare!! Easy to erect, but as we are both only 5'4" use a very light aluminium small step ladder for erecting. We pack up with bedding etc so ready for next stop. Sits very well on our Nissan Patrol. We purchased from Open Sky, at 4WD show in Melbourne in October last, and believe their showrooms is in Sydney at Toyota. Good Luck
AnswerID: 2160

Sponsored Links