TD Jackaroo am reception

Submitted: Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:48
ThreadID: 7451 Views:1807 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have just installed a new Radio/CD/MP3 player in my 99 TD Jackaroo. The am reception with the original Eurovox radio/cassette was pretty average with interference from the injector system (?) but the new Pioneer is far far worse rendering am unusable even in strong signal areas.
I am aware of previous posts on this subject that have suggested moving antenna to the rear wheel carrier and mentioned a Holden dealer "fix" but was hoping someone had since come up with a better fix?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 13:05

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 13:05
Hi there Keith, The problem with the AM reception on the jacks is that the injection computer uses an ac power circuit causing the interference. When i was at Holden they had a fix which required installing a new aerial unit (motor and mast) we did a lot under warranty and it seemed to fix the problem, the existing units seemed to have bad internal earthing. I am unsure if the newer fixed 'whip' antennas on the later jacks also suffer the same problems. But this may be an option. I saw all manner of shielding and bonding used around the computers but it seemed to be a bit of a bandaid solution. I think it also causes problems with HF / codan radios, as people who had these fitted had the antennas fitted at the rearmost point of the car with well bonded mounts. If you complained of this while under warranty then you should be in with a chance of getting a new unit fitted as this is a well known problem. Speak with the workshop foreman about getting the latest tech updates off their system, so that you are fully armed if you try it on with the service manager. Also the aftermarket tuner in the pioneer deck has a very high sensitivity so this is why it is worse than the factory unit. Hope this helps, BradLife is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 32101

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:52

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 14:52
AM? Is that still going?.. dont think my Alpine WMA player actually has AM, havent looked...
AnswerID: 32112

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 16:14

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 16:14
cheeky buggaWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 22904

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 15:26

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 15:26
Hmmmmmm, and I always thought you were an old outback traveller Truckster me old mate. :) :) :)

Get out in Far Western Qld and points further out, and AM is about all you get - and then its usually only the bloody ABC.

Don't hear too many FM stations out there.

Still, you can always put a CD on.

enjoy the bush

DennisN

FollowupID: 22967

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 22:37

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 22:37
only when I was truck drivin... and Bike racing.

With the radio in the nowhere nowhere, I have a MP3 player, I get 170 songs to a CD, so burn 5-8 CDs and Im right for a week!
FollowupID: 23118

Reply By: Geebung - Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 17:05

Friday, Sep 26, 2003 at 17:05
And jeez does it pierce me off when you learn that some people have had a possibly effective remedy for this under warranty but other owners never hear of it ! Bloody crooks in my view. I got a supressor fix for my 99 Jack under warranty.
Of no use in the sticks - not bad in the city - new motor and mast never communicated to me. Interefence still an issue though. What this all means for HF radios is that you cannot communicate whiole mobile. If it was not for this design cock-up, I could reliably converse over 3000k anytime and make radphone calls too.Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 32125

Follow Up By: Member - NOBBY - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:44

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 08:44
When my Jack was two weeks old my antenna was snapped off by a not so nice person and as it was not a warranty job I went to the local radio shack and they installed another one. They had various sizes etc. and I opted for about middle of the range. The guy said that it wouldn't be strong enough to work in the scrub and he is right. When I eventually down tools and head north, east or west I will be going back and getting the top of the range.
FollowupID: 22953

Reply By: Old Soldier - Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 15:30

Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 15:30
I had exactly the same problem.

Pathetic AM reception on the Jack, and it got even WORSE when I fitted a radio/CD/MP3 player.

Still, the brilliant features of cramming seemingly endless MP3 tracks onto a disc sort of got over the problem a bit.

I don't have the Jack any more and my new vehicle has a radio that works PROPERLY

DennisN
AnswerID: 32184

Sponsored Links