Steel roof rack for troopy

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 746 Views:2566 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Could anyone recommend a place to get a steel roof rack for the length of the 78 series troopy. I am in the Alice so I know that I will have to ship it. I just have not had a lot of luck searching online.

Thanks, Andrew.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
I recently bought on from 4wd systems in Adelaide. It is great, and solid steel so it handles the rough stuff. They have a full length and 3/4 length. Phone is 08 8369 0033. I have no affiliations with then, just a satisfied cusomer.
One word of advice, they use the full length gutter tracks, and have a rubber guard over the track. Stick a blob of glue every 100mm or so to stop it dropping off at the critical moment when you are installing. Second. Have a quick look for any welding blobs on the inside of the track. If they are there they could rub your roof.
AnswerID: 2058

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Sounds good, I will follow it up. Thanks for that.
FollowupID: 713

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Andrew, for your info. I have one on my 75 series. If you go for one of these then get them to supply you with the tool to assist you in fitting (it pulls the unit tight down into the gutter.

AERO-RACK PRODUCTS

AERO RACK a new generation in roof racks

While travelling the Canning Stock Route a few years ago, Darryl Althorpe realised the importance of reliable four wheel drive accessories. After passing through some of Australia's most rugged terrain he noticed remnants of various after market accessories littering the track.

The percentage of roof rack failure was much higher than other accessories. He witnessed first hand the difficulty others were experiencing due to inadequate roof rack equipment.

After the trip Mr. Althorpe of Adept Engineering set about designing a roof rack which meets both the practical aspects and provides the durability required for modern travel. The AERO RACK PRODUCTS roof-rack is the final result. It utilises a beam construction for full length support which gives high strength but maintains diagonal flexibility. The aerodynamic profile and the curved frontal shape eliminate wind noise and reduces the possibility of vegetation snagging whilst travelling off road.

The roof-rack can be made in either steel or aluminium and is available in a wide range of powder coated colours. Steel is a stronger material and is recommended for off road travel and is only 12 to l5kg heavier than the aluminium models, which is relatively insignificant on a vehicle which weighs 1900kg. Steel models have a very high load capability beyond normal loads required of roof racks. The rack panels are cut by a computer controlled laser cutting machine and the aerodynamic shape is pressed into the panels before fabrication.

For every vehicle there are two models of racks available. The CARGO model is a conventional fully boxed construction with four sides enclosing the rack grid. This model retails at $889 in powder coated steel. The COMMERCIAL model has cut away panels at the float and rear of the rack enabling longer loads such as ladders, surf boards and dinghies. Innovative design and modern manufacturing techniques have ensured that the price of these roof-racks is very competitive.

The main selling feature of this rack is its aerodynamic shape which drastically reduces wind noise and assists fuel economy. Mr Althorpe said "I tried to eliminate all present shortcomings of current racks in the market place by taking a flesh look at the design".

Strength and durability have been improved by substantially reducing the products component count and hence the number of weld zones. This innovative design has been approved for design registration by IP Australia.

AERO RACK PRODUCTS, 195 Bank Street, East Victoria Park WA 6101
PH: (08) 9470 3099, FAX: (08) 9470 3041

These pages were last updated on 30th July 1999.
Hits since 16th July 1999:
AnswerID: 2062

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Andrew, further to the above, this is where you can check it out.

http://www.pps.net.au/4wdencounter/accessories/aerorack.html
AnswerID: 2063

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

A very flash one. It doesn't look like they make it full length though. I will keep it in mind though.
Thanks, Andrew.
FollowupID: 716

Reply By: Andreas - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Andrew, can't help you with a steel rack but I have an alloy full length TJM rack off a 75 Series troopie I had a few years ago if you (or anyone else) is interested.
AnswerID: 2064

Reply By: Andrew - Saturday, Feb 23, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 23, 2002 at 01:00
I finally found that I could get exactly what I needed from OL in Adelaide. Thanks for the input people.
Andrew
AnswerID: 2174

Sponsored Links