Thermoelectric coolers

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 27, 2003 at 23:24
ThreadID: 7476 Views:2252 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experiance with how effective Thermoelectric coolers are, all I want to do is keep some drinks cold up front so I don't have to stop and get them out of the back.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 00:06

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 00:06
What's the big hurry. How long does it take to stretch the legs & get a drink. 1 min ?????
You must be in big rush to get somewhere.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 32207

Reply By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 02:33

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 02:33
Scott,
been thinking of the same idea, as we have to do long overnight stints every now and then to visit relo's. The young'n will sleep all night in the car, but gets bored quickly during the day, so we try to get as far as possible overnight.
Back to the cooler, a mate of mine just picked up a waeco TCT 06 and reckons its the ducks guts...keeps his drinks cold and uses bugger all power. He got the idea off a workmate who uses the same cooler as a warmer, he's a truck driver and takes his tucker with him. I was thinking of getting the same one and whacking it in behind the console of the 80.
It'll hold 8 cans or probably 8 pies...!!
cheers
AnswerID: 32211

Reply By: David N. - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:27

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:27
Reasonable.
Have one I picked up in the USofA last year, it takes forever to cool your drinks if you put them in warm. However for a long days drive it will keep drinks nice and cool with the occasional warm one thrown in.
"Ice Cold"- no way. Cool is the word I would use.(depends a lot on ambient temperature- if you could feed it cool air from your air-conditioner it would work a lot better.)
I wouldn't rave about it and it doesn't compare favourably with a real frig- IMHO. However it does serve a purpose. And they are NOT efficient- my little cooler uses the same amount of electricity as my Evakool frig. Hope this helps.
Cheers
AnswerID: 32218

Reply By: JohnR - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:36

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 09:36
Scott,

Just make sure of the brands and location of switches. I have one came with an agricultural worm treatment product that is also heats things. It very effective I know - well heating anyway!!

Take care that the switch is in a position that can't reverse from cooling to heating on one of these systems if there is a dual capability. Ours was very capable of turning milk, cheese, eggs into an impromptu omlet with the bread still in the plastic. Be wary. All it took was a bump on the switch.

Really good on the first day of your tripping, but worse when you can't replace em

John
AnswerID: 32220

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:27

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:27
They draw a large current compared with fridges with compressors, and will only lower the temp by about 20 degrees below ambient. So on a 30 degree day you are drinking luke warm drinks. Their advantage is their purchase price.Bob
AnswerID: 32244

Reply By: GLAYVA MAN(bendigo) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:50

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 10:50
gday scott.
we bought a 12ltr waeko from big w/woolies for fathers day$80.
used for a trip yesterday to keep the kids drinks cold perfect for day trips.
jamieson wild cat
AnswerID: 32287

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:27

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:27
Check the Waeco site they have for $99 at Big W a 15ltr cooler that holds a dozen I think that fits between seats almost.
AnswerID: 32293

Sponsored Links