Going to the snow from tropics

Submitted: Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 16:37
ThreadID: 74797 Views:2484 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I'm planning a trip south this year from FNQ during July. I'll have about 3 weeks and have a 07 Prado towing an Aussie Swag camper.

Now I usually spend all my leave camping and fishing the tropics and have no idea about the cold stuff.....but the kids are keen (6 and 8 yrs old).

My thoughts were to spend some time in western NSW and 4 days or so near some snow...

My questions are

1. Where?
2. I'm thinking we will freeze to death in the camper so should I book into a cabin right at the snow?
3. Is there somewhere I could leave the camper or would I be OK to tow it to the cabins?
4. is it possible to hire a diesel heater somewhere down there?
5. Any recommended must stops between qld border and the snow for camping and bank fishing.

Any info appreciated plus feel free to direct me to good sources of info.

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 17:33

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 17:33
G'day tdv.

There used to be a great Caravan Park/camping/cabins at Sawpit Creek up near Perisher Blue. It is inside the National Park, and only a few K's from Perisher, Smiggins Holes, Guthega. A few years since we were there, but was great. If still available, go for the heated cabin, especially with kids that age. Wake up right on the snow, in bushland setting. You could tow your camper there no problems.

From a budget point of view, check out the Station Resort at Jindabyne. It is owned by Perisher Blue and has some great specials packages available every year, which include lift passes. (That's the expensive bit if buying seperately.) Lot's of great cabin type accomodation, and your breakfast and dinners can be included. It get's very busy, but then so do the snowfields, especially in school holidays. I've got grown up kids with their own kids now, and they still go there.

Are you coming down the inland or the coast ?

Hope this helps a bit.

Fred.
AnswerID: 397225

Follow Up By: tdv - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:17

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:17
Thanks, that si the type of info i'm after
FollowupID: 666083

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 18:01
Hi tdv,

How cold do you want to be? Anywhere inland will be cold! On the tablelands there will be heavy frosts and further west it can still be pretty cool with a wind to add to the chill factor.

Maybe coming down the coast might be best as there are many beautiful beaches where it would not be too cold to camp in your camper, especially if you could have a fire or a heater. Maybe go from Sydney to Canberra, Cooma and then on to the snow. Plenty of cabin type accommodation from Cooma south but would be advisable to book early.

On issue with camping in July is that the days are short so if camping you sometimes end up going to bed pretty early just to keep warm! Make sure you have plenty of really warm and waterproof clothing including boots and gloves.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 397231

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 18:39

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 18:39
tdv
If you happen to drive a Toyota (any year, any model) you are eligible to join the Toyota Summit Club which entitles you to substantial discounts at the Thredbo Alpine Hotel and associated skiing activites. Just Google: Toyota Summit Club, they usually update the website about March April each year and release the deals for that year. In the alternative, the cheapest and easiest place to have an introduction to the snow is at Selwyn Snowfields - the snow might not be as good as other places, but it is certainly cheaper.

teege
AnswerID: 397236

Follow Up By: tdv - Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:16

Friday, Jan 01, 2010 at 21:16
I'll fllow this up, sounds like a good tip
FollowupID: 666082

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 08:23

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 08:23
Val makes a good point re the cold. it will be colder here at night...Southern
Tablelands...than in the snowfields but the max may be lower up there during the day. Being from QLD I would go for a cabin..you will need to book early. As said
....plenty of warm clothes with waterproof outers are the go for snow...oldbaz.
PS.. dont forget the $$$...they charge like wounded buffalo for everything up there...including NP entry.
AnswerID: 397281

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:30

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:30
If you go down to the Victorian snow fields, you can stay in Cp's at places like Bright, Harrietville and Mt Beauty and drive up to Hotham, Buffalo or Falls Ck., this usually takes 45 mins to an hour. You will need to hire chains as these are compulsory to enter all ski fields in both NSW and Vic.
If you get youselves a powered site and use an electric fan heater, you should be OK for warmth. Is surprising how well a camper warms up if its well sealed from drafts. Otherwise there's always cabins and on site vans but book early!!!
AnswerID: 397292

Reply By: pjk - Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:42

Saturday, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:42
Hi TDVCamp at old adaminaby on lake eucumbene its a short drive to the northern ski fields of Mt Selwy which are family friendly and cheap,also you can visit other spots like the thermal pools and the undergroud power stations and the caves all close by .Just remember put on layers of clothes not just one bulky item as is the layers that will trap your body heat and you can control the temp by adding or taking off.You can buy a gas heater for the camper just has to be well venterlated and can't be left on all night, a good sleeping bag will keep you warm but will have to be a featherdown one for sub zero temp Have camped there many times in the winter can be a lot fun Yours PK
AnswerID: 397294

Sponsored Links