Deep Cycle Batteries. Which one to choose???

It's time for a new Deep Cycle battery as the old one finally gave up. I've narrowed my search down to the following 5 batteries which suit my needs. Does anyone out there know much about any of these batteries. I know Fullriver has been spoken about on this forum a fair bit but does anyone know anything about the others. If there is any battery experts out there or you've had experience with any of these let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Crown Supreme 140Ah AGM Battery– made in USA - $380
Site Link

Crown Supreme 130Ah Battery - $258
Site Link

Thumper Redback 120Ah AGM Battery - $429
Site Link

Fullriver 120Ah AGM Battery- $339
Site Link

X-Cell 12V 140Ah AGM 1350 CCA Battery - $385 2yr
Site Link
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 17:48

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 17:48
"Are there any battery experts out there?"

Bigmax, Hundreds of them mate, hundreds! LOL

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 397461

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 18:28

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 18:28
Bloody hell, where are you going to mount one?
They are all big buggers and any of them will "weigh a ton".

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 397473

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 19:16

Sunday, Jan 03, 2010 at 19:16
Bigmaxy,

A warranty is not worth squat if the nearest agent is 1,000 km away. Go for a common brand with country wide sales gents. I believe that you are very unlikely to get a longer life from a high price battery then you will from a medium price item. The difference in price just 'buys' you an 'insurance' with the manufacturer.

KK
AnswerID: 397485

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 08:27

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 08:27
Big Maxy
Nothing much has been posted to help you as you cannot take batteries with a 5/10/15 and 20year design life and say they are all the same.

You say your old battery has finally died so from your own experience how long did it last and what was it surely that would be a guide.

If not and you are prepared to maintain a flooded wet cell the Crown Supreme would be worth considering as deep cycle is based on years of fork lift use and crown is one of the biggest and a flooded wet cell is the cheapest way to go and will give long life if maintained.
ian

FollowupID: 666401

Follow Up By: Bigmaxy - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:07

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 12:07
Ian,
Thanks for the feedback. I used a Trojan 130ah wet cell deep cycle battery. It lasted around 2 years. It is mounted in the engine bay and would need the water topped up constantly (I assume because of the exposure to high temperatures).
For this reason I'm looking at a maintenance free battery. Also, I need a battery that can recharge faster than a wet cell. Size isn't an issue. I can accommodate a battery up to 380mm L x 180mm W x 290 H.
I think the Crown Supreme 130ah battery I put in my original post may be a wet cell. If so, that's a mistake on my behalf.
You mention design life of batteries. How do you find out that info? All batteries I looked at mention a life of around 8 years at the most let alone 10/15/20 years.

And KK, you are right about warranty. I will ensure I get it from a distributor in my home town.

Cheers for the feedback everyone.

Maxy.
FollowupID: 666442

Follow Up By: RV Powerstream P/L - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 13:32

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 13:32
BigMax
A flooded wet cell battery is more tollerant of under bonnet temperatures and over charging because you can add water and if you killed one in 2 years then do not expect under the same conditions for a sealed battery to do any better because you cant add water to them.

So you have to figure why it only lasted 2 years and correct something or you will be just throwing money down the same hole but maybe quicker.
Ian
FollowupID: 666456

Sponsored Links