Water resistant Breathable bush coats

Submitted: Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 14:33
ThreadID: 74876 Views:3366 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After 17 years our Goretex coats have delaminated and are no longer water resistant.
I am looking around at the new crop and have found a myriad of alternatives in 3/4 length bush coats and prices that sometimes are stratospheric.

I like the MONT brand because of it's apparent finish quality...........so would be interested in opinions on the performance from any users, plus any comments from users of other brands.

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PajDIDauto - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 17:48

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 17:48
Hi Bushtrek,

Hope you're sitting down...this is a long one!

I've been using and selling the waterproof breathable products since the eighties when they first arrived in Australia. Until a few years ago Goretex had the lions share of the market and the product is definitely good. There are some other brands of material on the market now and they have benefits that differ slightly from Goretex. For example they may be a little less waterproof but more breathable which is better for our conditions here. When I say they are less waterproof I mean that they will do everything we need to do with them but may not be the best option if you're doing extreme work such as hard mountaineering for example. These fabrics are all laminates in either two or three layers and include Empatex, Repel, Conduit, and Hydronaught etc etc.

If you stick with the good outdoor clothing brands such as Mountain Hardware, Mont, Mountain Designs, Paddy Pallin, North Face and ask the shop staff to explain their various materials and jacket designs then you can't go wrong. Depending on your end use you should be able to pick a suitable model from around $250 - $400. The more technical jackets are the higher prices as they have under-arm waterproof zips and all sorts of other features that add to the manufacturing cost. Just weigh up whether you really need all the extra gizmo's.

Mont is an excellent brand and Aussie too.

I hope this all helps.
AnswerID: 397610

Reply By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 18:38

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 18:38
I don't have a MONT jacket, but I have a large backpacker-style backpack which has been fantastic- I am really happy with the quality of materials and construction.
AnswerID: 397624

Reply By: Rodge - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 21:33

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 21:33
I have a Mont brand jacket I have used for several years bushwalking - it is Hydronaute material. It keeps me pretty dry, even walking in rain with a back pack on. Probably not quite as breathable as a Goretex jacket I used before, but quite satisfactory - and cheaper.
AnswerID: 397652

Reply By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 23:37

Monday, Jan 04, 2010 at 23:37
I have two Mont jackets; one for cycling and another for walking and ski touring and can vouch for their quality and function. Plenty breathable and waterproof.

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 397677

Reply By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:10

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 08:10
Hi Bushtrek,
Have a look at the Oringi wet weather gear. It is made in New Zealand. I used to wear it working out doors during winter. Keeps you dry, is breatable, and I found you don't sweat in it. They are very light. As a test when it was first bought the guys at work hosed me down with a fire hose, not a drop got through. They also do a really good beany that is warm and not itchy.
http://www.oringi.com.au/index.pasp? Well worth their money. We placed a large order for our workers and they threw in some extra gear for free, good advertising.
No affiliation just happy with their product.

Josh
AnswerID: 397698

Sponsored Links