Honda EU10i generator fuel odour

Submitted: Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 20:57
ThreadID: 7488 Views:3020 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I was hoping to transport my new Honda Generator in my caravan, but the continual fuel odour makes this impossible. I have emptied the tank, carburetor & fuel pump, but the odour persists. The smell doesn't appear to come from the fuel cap. The cap is fully closed (including the air bleeder) and the engine is turnd off at the switch.
Has anyone had this problem please?
Might the smell disappear when the generator has been used a bit (only 1 hour from new at this stage)?
Any solutions apart from carrying it in a plastice bag would be welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bob - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:03

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 21:03
Dave, it could be fuel thats impregnated the air filter. Bob
AnswerID: 32252

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 22:21

Sunday, Sep 28, 2003 at 22:21
Dave,
I'll go with Bob, I suspect it will be coming from the air filter area. You've elimiated everything else anyway. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 32264

Reply By: haze - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:35

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 07:35
Dave. On a post some time ago a query was regarding the sump filling with petrol on that mod. gen. It seems it doesnt have a petrol tap and jiggling about in transport can allow the float needle to leak. Being ohv? the petrol will run into the cylinder, the the sump. Perhaps the bleeder (air vent?) if NOT closed might help. I do know the smell of petrol permeates everything and takes forever to go. Also as suggested it could be from the air filter
cheers haze
AnswerID: 32277

Reply By: Member - Russell - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:19

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:19
I carry mine in the car all the time, and haven't noticed a fuel smell, certainly nothing like what you're describing. I get a bad smell from the chainsaw with a full tank - it dribbles out the top breather hole in the fuel cap - but that's manageable. Can't add anything - just saying that mine doesn't give a problem. Good luck with it - they're a great little generator.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 32298

Sponsored Links