Assistance needed for wiring Camper Trailer

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 15:35
ThreadID: 74913 Views:9134 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi EVeryone..

i've recently purchased a camper trailer and am due to take delivery of it in mid to late Jan. I've asked the manufacturer not to do any electrical wiring as i wanted to attempt this myself...

SOOOO....i need some assistance on what components are required and the best way to do this....

My tow rig is a Paj in which i installed a dual batt system about a year ago so i'll give you guys those specs and we can go from there..

i run the dual battery system on my Paj through a Projecta 150 unit. Ive used 2B&S cables to run from 2nd batt in the engine bay to a Blue Sea fuse block in the rear of the rig (hv used all the appropriate fuses etc). From this fusebox block, i've got additional cables (smaller size) terminating with Merit plugs for running my fridge, lights etc...

So thats my current setup.

What i would like for the trailer is to run a 150-200ah AGM battery (all batts in the rig are also AGM) that can be charged by the Paj when it's running, AND that i can charge/power through a 240V outlet if i'm at a powered site or through a gen (i hv a Yamaha 1000 unit)...

Given the above, can someone pls advise what additional equipment i'd need, and how to go about wiring it as i wouldnt hv a clue....

I got some good feedback when i posted earlier regarding the dual battery install in my Paj so i'm hoping some of the same members will quip up again with suggestions/assistance...

Just one thing to note, Solar is not really an option for me at the moment so i'd like to my setup to reflect the assets that i hv noted above ie Generator etc.

thanks in advance

cheers
jeelan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 16:49

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 16:49
"AND that i can charge/power through a 240V outlet if i'm at a powered site or through a gen"

Don't forget that any permanent 240v wiring must be installed by a licensed electrician for legal and most of all safety reasons.
Rod
AnswerID: 397777

Follow Up By: DIO - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 18:21
Since it's obvious that you are not a qualified sparky, I would be inclined to let the manufacturer set everything up for you - to your satisfaction. At least if something goes wrong they can't put the blame back onto you and your 'questionable workmanship' - if that be the case. Sorry but you did ask for advice. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
FollowupID: 666633

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 18:21

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 18:21
"Given the above, can someone pls advise what additional equipment i'd need, and how to go about wiring it as i wouldnt hv a clue...."

I would seek the help of an auto elec as it may save you a lot of money and heart ache in the long run.

You also mentioned that you have a Blue Sea fuse block in the rear....have you got a fuse at the battery as well?
AnswerID: 397792

Follow Up By: Jeelan - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:10

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 19:10
yes i hv got a fuse at the battery.

AS i've said, ive done my own wiring on my rig and even though it was my first time and therefore a challenge, i enjoyed the learning curve and i'm very satisfied with the end result.....

So id like to try wiring the camper as well - if it becomes a major stuff up, i can
always get it sorted out later on.....

Thanks for the heads up re the 240V wiring requiring a sparky to do. i've already got a plumber organised to hard wire the gas bottle to the stove (again, manufacturer doesnt do this) so i'll give the 12V wiring a go and organise a sparky to do the 240V once i'm setup....

in the meantime, does anyone hv any wiring suggestions as to how i can hook the up trailer battery to the Paj battery circuit? I know that 50amp Andersons are typically used, however, do i just extend the rear cables ie the ones that are coming off the 2nd battery? or do i run new cables from the front ie the projecta unit to directly to the rear?

i guess connecting the Anderson to the Camper battery would be easy enough to do and from the Camper battery the wiring diagram would virtually mirror the dual battery in the Paj?

cheers
Jeelan
FollowupID: 666640

Reply By: Member - Gizmo-Tron - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 21:18

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 21:18
Came across this in my research hope it helps

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
AnswerID: 397816

Follow Up By: Jeelan - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 03:34

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 03:34
thanks mate

much appreciated

cheers
Jeelan
FollowupID: 666688

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 21:18

Tuesday, Jan 05, 2010 at 21:18
"i've already got a plumber organised to hard wire the gas bottle to the stove"

Mate..seriously, looking at the post, let the manufacturer do the 12v wiring, and then get someone competent to do the 240v and other 12v stuff...please.
AnswerID: 397817

Sponsored Links