Gregory Downs/Lawn Hill

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:26
ThreadID: 74929 Views:3799 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, We'll be visiting Lawn Hill in the middle of this year and don't want to tow the van all the way in. Is it safe to leave the van at Gregory Downs for a few days while we take the tent into the Park?

Many thanks

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:39

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:39
We decided not to do that and left our van at the Bourke and Wills Roadhouse.
AnswerID: 397867

Reply By: hotabbots - Vic - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:50

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 09:50
Hi John,

it's fine to park at either the hotel park or down by the river which is very popular and a great free park. Get to know your neighbours and ask get them to keep an eye on the van while you are at Lawn Hill. Have a great trip,

Miss Guided
AnswerID: 397870

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:22

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:22
Hi John

We went via Riversleigh from Camooweal and found the mostly dirt road in very good condition (two water crossings) last August, and we stayed at Adel's Grove. There were various sorts of caravans there, including 'road models'. There is not room for caravans at the National Park campgrounds, but Adel's is a pleasant spot and only a few kilometres to drive into the Gorge each day. It is a lovely spot.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 397911

Follow Up By: time waster - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 17:09
Hi John,

Dad went the same way as Motherhen last year in his on road Jayco Stirling poptop and had no troubles at all, he lowered tyre pressures and did alot of sealing underneath the van before he left and had no dust inside or damage.

Speed is what causes alot of the damage if you have the time and drive to the conditions you can get most places.

Christian
FollowupID: 666754

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:21

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:21
G'day MH,

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods? Heat and fires are quite a contrast to what we're experiencing here and I hope some the rain ends up your way.

I have noted Adel's Grove for a future visit to Lawn Hill

Kind regards
FollowupID: 666876

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:30

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:30
Hi Beatit

All good in our household thanks. Yesterday was high fire danger, but luckily no fires our way. Unless we are in the middle of a bushfire, we don't welcome rain this time of the year anyway. The power company is sending staff around checking for trees near power lines - they are facing a massive compensation bill after the recent Toodyay fire. Most of our worst WA fires have been started from power lines, although our fire last year was assessed as arson. We certainly live in a land of fire and flood. A land of extremes.

I hope your travels are coming up soon - this year?

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666890

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:51

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 11:51
Hi MH,

That must be heartbreaking when a clearing plan may have prevented these. You must be at the end of lambing - my vague memory is this starts about September. Hope you didn't loose too many.

I am getting closer each day! 2011 is looking most likely to be my year of big decisions. You know it is all a question of timing and not a lack of desire to go. There are a couple of short trips planned this year and a full domestic building calender that will hurry this year along and 2011 will be here soon enough.

A short trip on the Aussie long weekend to Monduran Dam (Closest Barra fishing to me) is only 4.5 hours away and a 4 week trip to the Cape in August which is shaping up like a mass invasion - about 8 cars. These will wet the appetite and suss out the van boat combination.

I hope you dream trip is soon replaced by another as well.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 666892

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:06

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:06
With apologies to Westskip for getting our chatter. Fortunately in WA we have regular hazard reduction forestry burns, and have to have fire breaks around our buildings. Travelling friends were in Victoria when the fires started last year - her diary was frequently comments like 'this is a disaster waiting to happen'. I hope things will be better for them in the future; more than enough suffering last year.

Our lambing is in April - May, so the ewes are on green grass whilst feeding. The last two years we have seen the bulk of the lambs born, then gone away touring leaving our amazing daughter to manage the rest.

Your trips planned so far sound like a good start. Enjoy.

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 666895

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:23

Wednesday, Jan 06, 2010 at 15:23
Why would you want to leave the van somewhere, they have a good van park at Adel's Grove with 53 camping & van sites in a spacious bush setting.and road from Gregory Hotel is well maintained road to the Century mine T/o.

ADEL'S GROVE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 397912

Reply By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 07:07

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 07:07
Glad to hear that Doug as I was intending to take the van there in July. I didn't realise that the road was all that bad anyway, so what is it like...??

I took my van (24' Jayco Sterling) up the Yunta to Arkaroola road in October and that was 300km of, at times, rough dirt road but didn't have any problems other than dust ingress.

While I am at it, I am getting to Lawn Hill from Karumba/Normanton and then heading to Cloncurry after Lawn Hill. Can anybody tell me what that road is like..??
AnswerID: 398024

Reply By: Member - Matthew J (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 23:51

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 23:51
Hi John,

Just drop tyre pressures and take your time driving after the Century Mine turnoff. I was there in October and there were 5 blown tyre cases with the mechanic.

Adels Grove should be a picture mid year after the wet season.

Cheers
AnswerID: 398183

Sponsored Links