Flood travel advise needed

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:10
ThreadID: 74960 Views:2454 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning a trip from broken hill up to birdsville and then further east via Windorah, Longreach to the coast at the end of january. I'm a bit worried about the flood warnings, not sure what they mean for us. Will any of the roads be impassable or is it just patches across the land that are flooded? Things might be different in 3 weeks anyways... yet:

We've never been to that area, I'm just a keen on what to expect up there.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:37

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:37
I doubt you will have any problems travelling between those places, assuming you have a 4wd.

Keep an eye on the road report page on this site. At the moment all the roads you will need are open but as you suggest that can change. Personally I doubt it will.

Duncs
AnswerID: 398075

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:46

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:46
Have a look at the RACQ road conditions there is a fair few roads in that area CLOSED to all traffic at the moment. The RACQ site has been known to be a bit slow in updating the site once the roads reopen so it may also pay to contact the relevant Shire Councils/Police to confirm the road status prior to travelling them.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398080

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 15:54

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 15:54
"Will any of the roads be impassable or is it just patches across the land that are flooded? Things might be different in 3 weeks anyways... yet:"

Not sure if you have answered your own question.

Perhaps a crystal ball might be of assistance....How could a forum predict if the roads will be passable and there arfe no more cyclones causing more low pressure systems and rain...please.

Perhaps you just wait and be prepared to postpone your trip or take a different route just in case.

I used tyo live in the NT. One year you could plan a trip south to Adelaide in March as the wet was pretty much over. The next year the road south of Katherine was flooded for a week in March....

There is no way of knowing..just wait and see....nature is something we can neither predict nor control.
AnswerID: 398109

Follow Up By: Philipp (VIC) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 16:30

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 16:30
Sorry, I wasn't after predictions. Maybe I was unclear in my posting. I just wanted to get the picture of what it's like, when there is a flood.
FollowupID: 666937

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 18:17

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 18:17
Travelling far north at the end of January? M'mmm you could be exposing yourselves to extremes of weather. Likely to be very hot and if there are any active cyclones either off the n/w coast or n/e coast you could find yourselves 'rained in'. The 'by products' of cyclones frequently being intensely deep low pressure systems that are renowned for dumping heaps of rain across the continent. Just look at what has happened as a result of Cyclone Laurence. Who knows what the weather will be doing at the time of your trip. I would be inclined to leave it until later in the year - perhaps after the cyclone season, April/May.
Don't know if you are aware of the catastrophic flooding that occurred throughout the area of the Murray Darling Catchment in 1956. The flood occurred due to higher than average rainfalls in Western Queensland and heavy rains in the proceeding three months in Murray catchment areas , peaking at 12.3 metres at Morgan, South Australia . Some areas were flooded up to 100 km from the natural flow of the river.
A good example of the fickle behaviour of 'mother nature'. Good luck with whatever you finally decide to do. You might need it.
AnswerID: 398127

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 18:54

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 18:54
Far North????

Since when has Longreach been in the Far North? Last time I looked it was in Central Queensland.

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 666959

Reply By: Philipp (VIC) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 14:17

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 14:17
The travel date is fixed I'm afraid, I guess we'll wait for another 2 weeks and take it from there then.
AnswerID: 398816

Sponsored Links