Is Tamworth Going to be OK for the CMF

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:30
ThreadID: 74961 Views:2415 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just wondering if Tamworth will be OK for the festival or is more water expected from the north
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:43

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:43
According to the BOM website there are no forecast floods for Tamworth.

Duncs
AnswerID: 398077

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:49

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 13:49
A Flood nor Rain has ever stopped the Country Music Festival, it just adds to the Fun and great times to be had there LOL

If going pack a Rain Coat, Gum Boots and maybe camp on higher ground LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398081

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 14:32

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 14:32
Tamworth is fine, the first campers (caravans) started arriving Xmas week, the flood plain sporting fields where all the campers camp are wonderfully green following recent rains and council have started preparing them for the campers.
IF it rains no matter where you are it is wet!
Up to the rain gods.

Flood waters here derive from local area 100km upstream (east).

Our rain originates from the west and NW, occasionally from NNW, rarely from the east or south.
Keep your eyes on weather maps showing moisture coming across from Broome and occasionally being helped from Coral Sea / Gulf of Carpentaria moisture flowing first across Longreach before heading south.
AnswerID: 398088

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 19:24

Thursday, Jan 07, 2010 at 19:24
There have been afternoon thunderstorms in the area. This is good. It keeps the temperature down. There was one on the way home from work today.

Heat at Tamworth is much more of a problem than floods in January. When the river rises it does so quickly and it drops quickly. The media goes on and on about it for weeks giving a completely wrong impression. Thinking back quite a few years have gone by since the last time the river rose during the festival.Tamworth is on the slopes and water gets away not like out on the plains like at Wee Waa. Any inconvenience is measured in hours, not days or weeks.

Just a local peculiarity at Tamworth. Whenever the river rises a lot, people suddenly want to be on the other side of the river, even though they had no intention before hand. This usually causes a big traffic jam. The funny thing is the main bridge almost never gets "cut". I usually have a beer at one of the pubs and by the time I have finished it the "crisis" is over.

I work in Tamworth and can tell you that the revellers are already here and it is shaping up to be a good festival. A bit of busking going on already.

Just don't camp in the riverbed. :)

Flynnie
AnswerID: 398139

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 02:05

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 02:05
Went there in 2004......

Camped at the sporting fields, which I understand was evacuated in the first week.

When we got there in the second week, we were in the camping area for about 4 ~ 5 days, before everyone was told to leave once again as the river rose again.

Never mind the rain and water, it was interesting watching all "The Country Boys" doing there doughnuts in the mud out font of the tent. after they came back charged up in the morning from a long nights drinking.

Couple of tents had very close calls, as the utes slid to and fro in the mud.
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 667049

Sponsored Links