“Google Is Your Friend” or “Is Google Broken”.

Submitted: Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 08:41
ThreadID: 74987 Views:3560 Replies:15 FollowUps:23
This Thread has been Archived
I visit this site almost daily and really appreciate the comments made and also appreciate the time and effort many make in replying to queries. The reason queries are posted on this forum is because the views and expertise from those that reply is appreciated even though most answers can be found by searching the “net”.
I haven’t been the recipient but what I hate seeing is this as a reply: “Google Is Your Friend” or “Is Google Broken”.
May I suggest, if you don’t like the question and don’t have a worthwhile comment just skip past it.
Myles.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:02

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:02
Myles,

I agree with what you are saying. The posting or enquiry may appear frivolous or mundane to some of us but in reality it may be an effort to just be a part of something and this is the only outlet the writer can find. Checking Google will not provide the interaction they are seeking

Sometimes we get so involved with our own lives that we stop seeing that others are having difficulties when it comes to fitting into a social scene. There are a lot of people out there in the big wide world who just don't have the confidence levels to interact. Getting an answer to a posting may well be the biggest thing that happens in their day.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 398217

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:03

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:03
I agree with you Myles if you haven't got some decent or reasonable contribution then leave the post alone, the occasional tongue in cheek or bit humour is OK but some just go too far.

In talking with users privately for some ExplorOZ has been their first introduction to computers and/or they just use email and known websites so they are unaware of the benefits of Googling stuff.

Regards Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398219

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:42

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:42
In that case it doesn't hurt to let them know the benefits of Google!
FollowupID: 667080

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:06

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:06
Also handy to provide a useful link if possible, like this one: useful google link ;)

I have found that the "google is your friend" option is used here infrequently and usually only when the answer is that obvious in many cases. Sometimes it would have been far quicker to google some answers than spending the time typing in an answer to wait for someone to answer it here. A one-word answer style question comes to mind.

"Google is your friend" is a worthwhile comment and is someone's opinion....i'd suggest that if you don't like THAT answer then just ignore it ;)

Myles, I'm not having a go at you, rather that we all must be tolerant of all answers...if they aren't acceptable then the modsquad will surely help us out.

Andrew
AnswerID: 398221

Reply By: Member - Nick - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:09

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:09
A very sensible comment Myles.

If the question anoys you, do not open it, simple, and if you, do not answer it.
Who cares if it's on Google.

Google has to get it's answers from somewhere like this anyway.

Nick
AnswerID: 398222

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:11

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:11
Myles

I guess that you will have to live with it.

We cannot all pander to everyones 'pet hates'. A certain amount of Internet Growing Up is needed. This, after all is a Social Network where people interact and we are all different in our approaches to answering questions.

And please don't tell us not to have our say just because the answer might displease you.

Google is referred to when someone asks a seemingly simple question that may not need the time wasted on it by whosoever is reading the post. This person is trying to help the hapless poster by giving an educational hint. Google, being the best Search Engine around for now, may come up with a variety of answers to the question posted.

So thats my take on your comment.

AnswerID: 398223

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:37

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:37
“And please don't tell us not to have our say” ….. I didn’t say that. I simply said I hate seeing that as a response. Especially when it is the only comment the respondent made. Frankly I think it’s rude. I’m no position to give directions, I’m simply offering an opinion.
Myles.
FollowupID: 667079

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:44

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:44
I think some ask here, because they are too lazy to Google it themselves!

FollowupID: 667081

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:50

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:50
Skaker, It appears from the replies to this post that the consensus is it’s about interaction and valuing the advice and opinions of the participants.
Myles.
FollowupID: 667085

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:00

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:00
Maybe some should just go to a chatroom then.

The moderators must be on holidays, as this post in itself is irrelevant!
FollowupID: 667089

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:44

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:44
Miles

This is what you posted "May I suggest, if you don’t like the question and don’t have a worthwhile comment just skip past it."

I read that as stating that you are suggesting one not to have a say in a matter.

Here endeth the diatribe

FollowupID: 667099

Follow Up By: ModSquad - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:46

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:46
Shaker,

There is such a function as "Alert Moderator" which as yet has not been used in relation to this thread.

Regards

The Modsquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 667101

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:12

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:12
G’day Willem ,
“Suggest” is the operative word. Hardly a direction.
Anyway, I’ve expressed my view. It seems well supported.
So that’s it for me on the subject.
Over and out.
Myles.
FollowupID: 667118

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:54

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:54
Modsquad,
SHH
Don't give Shaker any ideas.
You guys are busy enough as it is. ;)

I learnt a very long time ago from a mates father.
'If you don't ask, you will never know. All people can say is No'.
Well I think it has change since then.
These days if you ask, people love to show you up for not knowing.
And that's sad.
Kevin J, you make a very valid point, and well put.
And your right Paul H , If you can't help, Keep quiet. easy.
Andrew, that's a polite way to go about.
Instead of saying Google is your friend or is it broke, why not jtry, 'Maybe you used the wrong words when you used Google, try these'.

I agree with you point Myles.

FollowupID: 667251

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 03:29

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 03:29
Willem "Miles" thats not very nice... :-( you spit it when someone says your name wrong... cheer up my old son..

Richard
FollowupID: 667335

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 03:37

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 03:37
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 667336

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:38

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:38
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Trolling Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 667476

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:29

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:29
I agree with what you are saying Myles, but even though alot of answers might be on google, it is also good to hear other peoples real life experiences or different ways of doing things. It is always good to get opinins and someone might have a better idea, or done it "googles" way and it could have been improved. I have found on here when a question has been asked about the stupidist thing, there has been some quiet interesting and useful comments.

Plus you dont get the social side out of "google" that you get on here. And you also cant stop and have a beer with "google", even if he is your friend.

Karen
AnswerID: 398224

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:58

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:58
Well said Karen, my thoughts exactly.

I am so glad and grateful to those who have taken the time to answer my sometimes silly questions. I may well have already tried Google but unless you really know how to ask a search engine to find something you quite often end up with a heap of advertising sites.

THANKS again to all of you who have offered me your experiences and thoughts - sometimes what might seem like such a simple answer to you does so much for me!

cheers
Sue
FollowupID: 667113

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:47

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:47
Exactly.
It's the real-life solutions that members have to offer here, which may or may not be optimal on a macro-sense (as Google might dig up for you), but suit the purpose nicely for their particular application; ie, one size doesn't fit all.
cheers,
Gerry
FollowupID: 667126

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:35

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 09:35
"The reason queries are posted... "
I think the majority of posts is more than just wanting an answer to a question. In fact I think 'query' should be changed to 'post'.

What most of us want is COMMUNICATION. A sharing of ideas and thoughts.

This is a community and as a group we develop understandings and outlooks. That's why I think 'off topic' posts are often actually right on the mark. Certainly inane and pointless or crude stuff should be moderated, but notice the posts that get the most responses? The more general ones... the ones tha look for views, opinions and thought.

So.... a thoughtless brushoff " Google Is Your Friend" is not appropriate. I agree!
AnswerID: 398227

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:45

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:45
Gday Royce
How is the spider bite coming along?
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 667100

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:56

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:56
Spider bite gone! Biro ring I put around it still there!

Non event really. A bit of an ouch when it happened and no pain or results to show.

Cheers
FollowupID: 667110

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:07

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:07
Gday
I was thinking along other lines, that you might have needed a hand down on the farm.
Murray
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 667116

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:32

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:32
Good point Myles but I must confess that one thing that peeves me is people not making enough use of the search function on this site before posting. While it's not perfect it's a great way to identify threads, articles and blogs on common topics. I'm the first one to try and assist with an enquiry if I can but in many cases, the information is available, all you had to do was search.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398234

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:22

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:22
Mick O,
I’ve seen plenty of your valuable responses and while you may be peeved on occasions I’ve never seen you indicate it. That’s the difference.
Regards,
Myles
FollowupID: 667119

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:25

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:25
Gday Miles
I imagine that "peeved" would be written in capitals.
Murray
Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 667122

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:47

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:47
Hi Myles,

I would only partially agree with your comment.

But it seems to me there are different types of questions and they get different responses.

Often the questions that get the best responses, both in number, length and thoughtfullness are the ones that are looking for thoughts, opinions etc and that is not something that can be gained from any search function. They are perhaps the online equivalent of having a yarn around the campfire. On the social aspect I guess one has to be confident to join in any conversation, be it around the campfire or online. For example many women don't seem to have the confidence to come online here (or to contribute in a mixed group around a campfire either!) but recently it has been good to see an increasing number of women contributing to this site.

Another kind of question is the sort that is more factually based but it is clear that the person doing the asking has put some effort into trying to work out an answer. We are always happy to respond if we can to such questions.

Then there are those who seem to jump onto the site and ask a staight-forward factual type question without seeming to have made much effort to do any research themselves. We may hold back on making a response in that situation. I have sometimes seen a question asked when something very similar was there a few threads back on the same page. In that case a bit of gentle nudging towards a search engine is not inappropriate surely?

I do admit that the search facility on this site can be a bit frustrating at times, but surely google is not that hard?

I remember an old journalist's saying: "if you want better answers, ask better questions".

Cheers,

Val

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398245

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:00

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:00
I have found that, if before posting it pays to read the last 10 pages of the

forum as probably more than 50% of the posts for info have been asked

before and answered as well

EG what is the best GPS Gets asked at least twice a week

What size tyres. The same.

Indicates they have just whacked the post up without searching at all

Also if the poster indicates "Ï have done a search and Googled"

it would indicate they have done something to help themselves and therefore will get a better response.

To answer the question a lot of us would Google it anyway.

It is also nicer to use a Forum name as we are getting several

"Name Not Found" with different vehicleswhich makes things a bit confusing.

Perhaps David can change things to disallow a post without a name in the heading .

I dont mind helping but am a bit over seeing the same subject day after day

sometimes within 10 threads of the same thing.

Cheers

AnswerID: 398246

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:21

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:21
G’day Graham,
I’m with you and agree with your remarks that’s why I close some postings as quickly as I opened them.
The name thing is another little annoyance for me too….. I must have fallen out of the wrong side of bed this morning. LOL. Most unlike me.
I like to know the name of those I’m communicating with even if it’s a nickname for forum use.
Thanks for all your previous contributions to the forum. I’ve seen plenty of them.
Regards,
Myles.
FollowupID: 667134

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:28

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:28
“Google Is Your Friend” or “Is Google Broken” is a valid response to educate the poster.

May I suggest, if you don’t like the answer and don’t have a worthwhile comment just skip past it.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 398255

Follow Up By: Member - Myles F (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:53

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 12:53
G'day John,
I know you think they’re valid replies, I’ve seen you use them. Of course it’s your right to continue to do so but I’ve seen you contribute many more valuable posts and I’m sure I’ll see plenty more.
Regards,
Myles.
FollowupID: 667140

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 17:32

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 17:32
Personally i too find such a response 'rude', particularly if to a new comer. At least they could have the tact to say "I did a search on Google and came up with x x x and a few other links you may find useful". Maybe the person asking has already done a search on Google and just wanted some on the ground experience such as members have here.

Similarly i find a lot of people seem to post without doing a search (as there are often recent threads with the same question and answers). Perhaps they need a subtle reminder to do a search. Maybe the search wasn't working that day - it often lets me down.

For those who post a reply in a rude manner, you are welcome to do so (unless it offends our Mod Squad), but remember, all the world will see you, and think you are a rude person.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398320

Reply By: dekiwi - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:16

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:16
just to divert a little. on other forums it has said that one google search uses the same amount off power as a 100w light bulb in 24 hours.
so a simple question here is better fur your environmental footprint.
and now the fun begins
mauri
AnswerID: 398355

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:26

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 19:26
2.4kWh?? Don't think so...The Google blog calculates it as 0.0003 kWh of energy per search.

Andrew
FollowupID: 667239

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 20:47

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 20:47
I mentioned before that what I said last was the end of the matter....BUT!!!

After reading all of the above answers (yes, nothing better to do in the heat) and excepting my contribution, I come to the conclusion that Australia is on a sharp downhill run with all the Namby Pamby ideas put forward here.

What a bunch of sooks you are!

Pet hates......I don't like....What peeves me.....and so on.....ad nauseum

How dare someone upset you by commenting 'Google is your friend' or alike!

How dare someone be rude to you!

How dare they put forward an alternative idea.

Go fight a war with you mob........................:-)
AnswerID: 398380

Reply By: Best Off Road - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 20:47

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 20:47
Myles,

I agree that sarcastic, caustic, responses really serve no purpose other than to feed the ego of the poster.

They are, for the most part, totally unneeded and unwarranted.

I, too, find them offensive.

Jim.

AnswerID: 398381

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 22:41

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 22:41
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....:-)
FollowupID: 667300

Sponsored Links