Fraser Is. - Oil wash

Heading to Fraser Island next week. Obviously I will use the under-car wash when leaving and again rinse when I get home.

BUT what would like to know is whether the majority of people use the oil washes available BEFORE heading onto the island. And if so why, cause I thought that the oil may cause the sand to stick to the vehicle.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:10

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 15:10
Sand will stick to the oil! But theres oil between the sand and car, so shouldnt be any problem.

YMMV
AnswerID: 32319

Reply By: GLAYVA MAN(bendigo) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:02

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:02
gday chris.
we usually do ours before heading to rainibow beach and then after.
not sure about the ones on fraser island but the ones we use the amount of oil in the wash wouldnt be enough for anything to stick tojamieson wild cat
AnswerID: 32323

Follow Up By: Chris - Yarra Valley - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:07

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 16:07
Glayva man,

Which one (where/company name) do you use? Do you recommend them?

Thanks.
FollowupID: 23088

Follow Up By: GLAYVA MAN(bendigo) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:18

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:18
GDAY CHRIS.
not sure of the name of the place but when you leave the town of rainbow beach you go past it on the way to inskip point.thats where the barge to fraser is.ive been using it a few times now when we go on hollidays and no rust YETjamieson wild cat
FollowupID: 23098

Reply By: chopper - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:57

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 17:57
Is your car properly rust proofed??

If so, skip the oil wash, do the island a favour, and give it a thorough clean (not just the drive over wash) when you get home.

If you don't have a thorough rust proof, then what do you plan to do about the salt spray that gets into EVERYTHING, not just the undercarriage.

Sand isn't your enemy, it's the salt.

Enjoy the island
AnswerID: 32334

Reply By: Prado Boy - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 21:24

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 21:24
Chris,
For an environmentally friendly pre-trip preparation - get some Lanotec from Mitre 10 - costs about $23 per litre & 2 litres will more than cover the bottom of any 4WD. Cheap as chips! This is a locally made (right here in Brisbane) Wool oil (lanolin) extract which can be applied with an ordinary garden spray unit - and which will protect the underside of your 4WD from rust.
In addition - I have spray on rust proofing and Electonic Rust Protection System (ERPS - from ARB) for my Prado. It has seen a fair bit of beach work but has ZERO rust on it. I also wash it both prior to and after any trip up the beach - for two reasons. 1. So I don't contaminate the National Parks with foreign matter from other areas of our wide brown land and 2. To remove any salt water that may have somehow made its way into the vehicle crevices. Do all this and you won't have any problems.
I would suggest not using the oil applications on the island (or on the mainland). Not real good for your 4WD or the environment.
Enjoy Fraser - one of our many truly magic places! Cheers,
Prado Boy.
AnswerID: 32354

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 22:16

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 22:16
Was there in July and was having a mild panic as I couldn't find any where to get Landcruiser sprayed underneath so had to go without ... after 250k's on the beach (not in the surf) washed down at Kingfisher Resort prior to getting on barge $ 5.50 for a 10 minute power blast ... reckon that was heaps and have seen nothing bad underneath.. except all those little stones that get stuck in the chassis rails from travelling through the Stoney Desert ...don't put bleep oil underneath your unit whatever !!! A lot of the water/ all the ones I checked ... flowing over the beaches at Fraser are freshwater streams flowing out of the lakes !! just stop every now and then and taste the water !!! So its not as bad as it seems !!
AnswerID: 32356

Reply By: Steve L - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:07

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:07
Chris,

Regardless of whether you use oil or not, don't rely on the underbody wash to thoroughly clean the car. We were on Fraser last month, came off and used the underbody cleaner in Rainbow Beach, followed by the high pressure wash at Gympie, and when I got home gave it another good wash including getting the garden hose into the chassis rails as much as possible.

I bought a Massojet cleaner the other week and gave it a try in the chassis rails, and it seemed like half of Fraser Island came out!

Moral of the story - there's never too much cleaning after driving on the beach.

Steve
AnswerID: 32369

Reply By: jackablue - Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:24

Friday, Oct 10, 2003 at 20:24
Yeah give it a wash but when you get back , stick the good old sprinkler under it. STill more sand will come out & then after that give it another wash.

Cheers

Jackablue

AnswerID: 33379

Sponsored Links