Murchison 4x4 Park

Submitted: Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 11:29
ThreadID: 74992 Views:3561 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. We're considering a trip to the Murchison 4x4 park. Has anyone been here ?
Is it worth the 5 hour drive from Perth and $35 a night for camping?

Thanks
Lyndsey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt M - Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 18:25

Friday, Jan 08, 2010 at 18:25
Lyndsay...Its terrible...Dont ever go there and tell everyone you know to not go there and that its terrible!!

Serioulsy all three parks in Kalbarri are great and yet still diverse in what they offer.

I like the proximity of the Murchison, the Tudor is great but a bit more of a walk to the pub and Anchorage is very far...like pushbike far but I think more suited to familys being quiet (no traffic) and away from the bustle of the town centre.

Never had a problem with any of them, very high standard and they take pride in their parks.

Matt.

AnswerID: 398335

Follow Up By: disco driver - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 00:00

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 00:00
Matt,
Can you elaborate on your comments. What makes it so terrible or are you just being funny??

Are you talking about a caravan/camping park or are you referring to the privately owned off road driving park on Coolcalalya station?

I suspect that Nathan & Lindsey are asking about the offroad driving park and not just a caravan park in Kalbarri.

Can you clarify your answer?

Disco.
FollowupID: 667314

Reply By: disco driver - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 00:14

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 00:14
Hi Nathan & Lindsey,
If, as I suspect, you are thinking about the 4wd park on Coolcalalya Station can I suggest that unless you like it very hot and dry, now is not the time to go there.
I worked in that general area pre retirement and temperatures can reach the mid 40's for days on end.

I would wait till later in the year, April/May or even later after there has been a bit of rain to cool things down.

If you can wait till September-October the wild flowers will be out in flower and areas along the Murchison are magnificent. (The offroad tracks in the 4wd park will probably have a bit of mud driving too)

I hope this helps your planning.

Disco.
AnswerID: 398424

Follow Up By: Member - Nathan & Lyndsey (WA) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:19

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 20:19
Hey Disco,

Yeah that's the place. I emailed them yesterday and they suggested the same thing - anythime after May. We are off to Cape york in September and are looking at getting a liitle practice in before we go, water crossings, mud ect...
Was just curious what the place was like before we go driving 5 hours one way.

Lyndsey
FollowupID: 667493

Sponsored Links