camping at Inskip Point

Submitted: Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 18:40
ThreadID: 7502 Views:12058 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, just wondering if anyone has camped at Inskip Point with a young family. We like the idea of being a bit secluded, but with an 18 month old, we are a bit concerned about the practicalities. We don't have a 4wd. Is there water in any of the camp grounds? Are the sandflys and mozzies bad there? Any other advice is most welcome. Thanks in advance,
Kylie & Tony.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 18:52

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 18:52
Water can be obtained from Rainbow Beach, there is a row of taps for this purpose, most of the camping areas have very good amenities (no showers). You can get your 2wd into most of the camping areas, but not neccesarily around the campsite (if you know what i mean).

During school holidays, Inskip is anything but secluded, at most other times it is very quiet. I do not recall having a sandfly or mozzie problem any of the times that i have been there.

My favourite spot is the most north western camping area, there are toilets close and you have the choice between the open beach and the more protected waters on the western side.

Cheers
AnswerID: 32337

Reply By: GLAYVA MAN(bendigo) - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 19:52

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 19:52
hiya kylie&tony.
we usualy go to inskip point this time every year.
our daughter was 9mths old first time no real problems we used a big porta cot to keep her happy and now bigger kids keep an eye on her she 2.5 yo.
theres plenty of the best camping toilets ive seen plenty of taps.a guy comes around morning and night for supplies milk/bread/ice ect (chocolate mmmmm).
you dont need a 4wd to get to some camping spots but there the busy ones.with the 4by you can get a lot further up the beach bit quieter.never been bothered by sand flies/mozzies.i cant see you having any problems except a quiet spot.
go enjoy it its a lovely placejamieson wild cat
AnswerID: 32346

Follow Up By: Member - Vince - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 20:58

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 20:58
Hi Kylie & Tony.
A great spot to camp BUT avoid school holidays & long weekends.
Vince
FollowupID: 23109

Reply By: Prado Boy - Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 21:16

Monday, Sep 29, 2003 at 21:16
Hi Kylie & Tony,
Inskip is a magic spot - and the good news for 2WDers is that you can get to some camp spots easily just off the end of the bitumen which goes all the way to the poit itself. Pick a time midweek if you can and avoid school holidays and long weekends.
Facilities are good - though you will have to store your own water (which can be replenished at Rainbow beach - about 11 or 12 Km's back down the bitumen road).
Toilets are all long drops.
Camping permits can be obtained from the National Parks & Wildlife at Rainbow Beach and it's dead cheap.
Mozzies, sand flies etc. generally not a problem up there - mainly because it can be a little breezy (being right on the coast). It is a great spot - one which I'm sure you'll want to go back to. Be sure to take a fishing rod if you're into angling. And if you ever get that 4WD - Fraser Island is just a 10 minute ferry ride away! Enjoy!
Prado Boy
AnswerID: 32352

Reply By: Kylie&Tony - Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 15:27

Monday, Oct 06, 2003 at 15:27
Thanks so much for your replies.
We are going to head up there in Feb. for a week. We can't wait.
AnswerID: 32886

Sponsored Links