lead wieght damage to mag wheels

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:52
ThreadID: 75037 Views:2742 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I got around to washing the car this weekend and noticed the damage on the mag wheels from the lead weights. I recently had new tyres fitted on the rear and the lead weights where redone. Where the old ones had been there was evidence of galvanic reaction - as you would expect.

What have others found and what have others done to stop this happening.

David

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:59

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 18:59
You can have some reputable tyre shops do a balance (can't think of the term) where the machine calculates where to apply the lead weight for static and dynamic but with the outer being just inside the rim pretty much at the wheel/hub face (stick on weights) if you disected a line thru the rim and the inner weight applied as normal to the rim lip.

I used to do them that way many years ago. Most tyres shops these days with electronic wheel balancers would be able to do it, but don't offer it unless you ask....but they have to clean off the wheel rim surface or road grime and grease to stick the weight on, and the weights are dearer.
AnswerID: 398531

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:11

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:11
Apply FishOil to provide a moisture-proof seal around the metal junction.
AnswerID: 398537

Reply By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:25

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:25
In the marine industry, particularly for mast building we use Duralac for insulating between dissimimilar metals to prevent electrolysis .... LOOK HERE

AnswerID: 398542

Reply By: dbish - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:49

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:49
Hi we use stick on weights on inside of rims with an electronic ballancer but the rim has to be fairly clean
AnswerID: 398547

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 23:32

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 23:32
When our new rims were put on the fellas used the stick ons. I said they will come off look at the car it goes off road. Sure enough on the way home on the black top I could hear pinging noises. Went back they blamed the quality and put new ones on. It happened again. Even came off the spare. I went back to the dealer and they banged on the old ones I wanted in the first place. This time there was a vibration. Had a gut full of the mongrels that are the only Mickey suppliers in town and went else where and asked for the tyres to be re balanced. All six were out and one of them still had the stick ons still inside. Bad service Never again.
FollowupID: 668089

Sponsored Links