XTrail upgrade

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:00
ThreadID: 75038 Views:4732 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The 5 year warranty on the X Trail has run out, so I have spent a few $ on an up grade.

After traveling to Cape York, Alice Springs and the channel country in Queensland and a few tracks like the Googs, Birdsville, Strzeleki, Bore, Border, Bridal & Oodnadatta.

I have enjoyed, places like the Birdsville races & Big Red, Marree cattle drive lunch at the William Creek, Prairie & Innaminka hotels, the hall of fame at Longreach. I have swam in the Diamantina river & fished in the Coopers creek (thanks Ruth for your advice).

I have crossed a few deserts including Walkers crossing in a sand storm & part of the Simpson, admitting with the help of larger 4WD’s, the X Trail lacks the height but only fools would do the deserts alone unless highly experienced in the right vehicle.

I have enjoyed the Gammon; Gawler & Flinders ranges, including Mt. Hack via Warrweena, the quietness of Lake Gairdner, Lake Eyre & Lake Mary (thanks Stephen from Clare for your advice & tracks).

Not bad for a stock standard X Trail & no break downs, I have now put on A/T tyres, Bendrix 4WD disk pads, bash plate, twin exhaust system and a suspension raise with heavy duty springs.

A soft roader won’t, stop you, we just take different tracks.

Without the advice from this site and others like Roachie, Willem & Phil G it would have been harder, look out Victoria Duke (German Shepard) and I are on our the way.

Any other upgrades I will consider exept upgrading to another vehicle lol!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:41

Saturday, Jan 09, 2010 at 19:41
Sorry Sand Man I left you out just saw your post to another post, thanks for your advice especially for the Cobb Cooker
AnswerID: 398544

Reply By: craig2 - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 08:35

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 08:35
you should go on to australian xtrail forum and tell them of all your adventures they have over 1400 members at the moment and growing fast. If you wnat to know something tech upgrades or what ever that is the place to find out.X-trail forum
AnswerID: 398597

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:31

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:31
G'day cuffs

Good to see your Xtrail is going well and that you have found lots of places to explore.

Ours has 113000 on the clock now and with no problems apart from the missus thinking that she was in a Big 4by and then went driving down a creekbed. Put a few dints underneath :-)

Cheers
AnswerID: 398660

Reply By: Member - Cantiva Clay (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:53

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:53
Willem, I have the problem with the dents underneath to! Hi Cuffs, sounds like your getting the value for money out of the xtrail - you have to to make up for the 1st yr deprec on new vechicles! I'm interested in your mods, what A/t tyres did you fit, how were the bendix pads what did you do for a bash plate and how much lift did you go for? Was the lift worth the trouble?
AnswerID: 398732

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 20:08

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 20:08
G'day Cuffs, mate you certainly have pushed the envelope with your trusty Xtrail!!! Good onya and I hope you have many more adventures in the coming years.

I wonder how a 6.5 Chev V8 diesel would fit under the bonnet??? hahaha

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 398733

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:13

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:13
Gday Cuffs,
Its amazing how much fun you can have with a vehicle that is perceived by many to be an "underdog". I enjoyed my outback trips in the old Corolla and subarus.

You've done some great trips with yours. I wouldn't mind taking ours away on the odd offroad trip, but my wife is too attached to it, so it remains scratch-free! She makes me take the bigger truck because its all set-up :-((

Cheers
phil
AnswerID: 398801

Sponsored Links