Kalbarri W.A.

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:57
ThreadID: 75055 Views:9476 Replies:11 FollowUps:19
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all on Forum,
We are planning to go to Kalbarri and are looking for any information regarding kalbarri. I have heard a little about the wind and it is a lovely place to visit. What is the best time of year, any fishing spots not to be missed, four wheel tracks and good caravan park or independant camp spot for caravan. I tried a search on the forum, but came up with nothing. I think maybe I am not using the search correctly.
Any input will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:04

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:04
At the risk of re-igniting a previous Thread:

Google is your Friend,

http://www.kalbarri.com/

http://www.kalbarri.org.au/

These two were among 5000 million kazillion replies by simply putting the word "Kalbarri" into Google.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398640

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:10

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:10
Also, in the interests of helping you become a good researcher, check this site:

Badgers's Caravan Park Reports

and this one (although it's weighted towards the East):

Ozcamps Independent Campsites

and this book from the EO Shop is the Free Camper's Essential Aid:

Camps 5

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667623

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:12

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:12
Hi - Kalbarri is beautiful all year around. Having said that if you want to see the inland gorges it is probably best to visit during the cooler months of April through September as the gorges are considerably warmer than in town.

The wind - hmmm... I live down the road in Geraldton and the wind is a challenge, LOL. Its why we are the windsurfing capital of the world (or something like that). Between November and April the sea breeze is rather strong to say the least, its what cools us down though so serves a purpose - she says while watching her trees flex! If you are staying in Kalbarri the good thing is you can wake up to a beautiful morning stroll along the banks for the Murchison River or kayak before it sets in and then relax under a tree in the afternoon.

Murchison Caravan park is probably one of the nicest in town right on the water front but I have heard people say that if you get a spot along the road they worry about its security for leaving a van.Anchorage just down by the jetties is another right on the river nice and shady and secure but if town is busy the amenity block is a tad small. Swimming pool there is really clean and fantastic on those windy afternoons. Both parks now allow well behaved pets too. We often take the van and the kayaks up to Anchorage park for a weekend away!

AnswerID: 398643

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:45

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:45
the wind blows that hard there in one spot the trees grow completly sideways
FollowupID: 667614

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:58

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:58
But when the wing stops the sheep fall over

Neil
FollowupID: 667619

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:28

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 15:28
LOL :-) Pretty much sums it up! On a positive note though the wind means no flies!! OK at least while you are walking into it!
FollowupID: 667629

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:15

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:15
Gday,
Red Bluff ( a few of Kms South of Kalbarri) is a great rock fishing spot.
The beach North of Red Bluff is good for beach fishing and can be accesed up the track about 200m North of the Red Bluff beach rd. turn off.
Follow the dirt track up along the Murchison river(about 20kms) for good sheltered fishing spots.

Cheers
AnswerID: 398645

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:22

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:22
A little more info. after re-reading your original post.

4WDriving - there are tracks outside of town which are heavy sand you can explore and if you are really game you can try climbing "big red" but need to be a competent driver to tackle that one! Worth the drive out there and the climb up just for the spectacular view. Murchison Station has tracks but you would need to contact them and ask permission - they also allow paid camping.

Free camping - not around town but south at Lucky Bay you can camp amoungst a whole desert of sand dunes and the bay there is superb. I can give you details to the turn off if you wish. There are many old shacks there and the whole area becomes very busy during Easter! A local favorite spot!

Free camping to the east is at Galena Bridge but way to far (70klms) to be worth using unless you only intend to go into the first lot of inland gorges. Having said that there is the ruins of the old Galena lead mine nearby that is worth exploring if you are into history.

Fishing - sorry we dont fish but have seen many people set up along the beach in town and you can hire a small boat to go further up the river and fish. Someone else will fill you in on the fishing I am sure.

cheers
Sue
Geraldton WA
AnswerID: 398648

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:26

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:26
Lucky Bay

This is directed to those who go into Lucky Bay for that matter any free camping spot. Please take your garbage to the rubbish tip. Yes there is one there. It is on the left on the way out and if you need to go places, please dig a decent hole dont leave it on the surface or 150mm under. You know what I mean.
Every time we go there we pick up at least 3-4 garbage bags full of rubbish. I would hate to see what some of these yobos houses are like. They would be the first to scream when the area is closed off to camping.

Tony S
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667722

Reply By: new boy - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:23

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:23
Hi Michael
Kalbarri is a top spot plenty to see the Gorges,Murchison river ,Red Bluff and more.
Personaly the Murchison Caravan park is is best A. central walk to pub shops and eateries B. 100 metres to the river very safe for kids swiming C. top sunsets.
Fishing easy access to River,beach and rock spots, 4wd there is beach access and exploring east along the river should keep you occupied
Best time of the year out of school hols this year middle March as Easter and Sch Hols are very early April
AnswerID: 398650

Reply By: Member - Matt M (ACT) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:30

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:30
Michael,

Set aside an evening to have dinner at Finlay's Fish BBQ. Great food, novel experience and cheap.

Have fun,

Matt.
AnswerID: 398651

Reply By: equinox - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:09

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:09
Hi Michael,

I haven't been there, but if I had a few days there, there are some features to the immediate south of Kalbarri that have historical significance.

Wittecarra Spring was found by Vlamingh in 1697 and was also probably visited by Pelsaert in 1629, when he dropped off Australia's first permanent white settlers Wouter Loos and Jan Pelgrom.

Vlamingh probably also visited Gabba Gabba Spring as well.

Vlamingh, Pelsaert and Grey (1839) all landed in the vicinity of Red Bluff.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 398656

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:41

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:41
The mouth of the Murchison is also thought to be the place that two mutineers from the Batavia were dropped off to fend for themselves in 1629, never to be seen again. The rest of the mutineers were hung on one of the Abrohos Islands, but these two were considered less complicit in the mutiny and were given this dubious pardon.
Anyway, Kalbarri is a great place, but the gorges are best seen outside the summer months.
Gerry
FollowupID: 667644

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:58

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:58
Doh! sorry, if I'd read Alan's post properly, I wouldn't have repeated what he said! Another senior moment!
FollowupID: 667648

Follow Up By: equinox - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 17:07

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 17:07
Don't worry Gerry, you didn't repeat it. You merely put it another way :)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667653

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 17:50

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 17:50
You're too kind, Alan!
But seriously, the history of the wreck and the mutiny of the Batavia and the amazing rescue journey to the East Indies in a longboat is a fascinating read.
The recovered and preserved bow of the Batavia and artifacts are displayed in the Shipwreck Galleries of the WA museum in Fremantle, and is a must-visit if visiting Perth.
FollowupID: 667673

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:12

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 19:12
The museum at Geraldton has an extesive section on shipwrecks with a large display about the BaAtavia and its infamous history.

Is the most interesting museum Ive seen.

At Kalbarri we stayed at the Tudor Caravan Park which is a block back from the beachfront and gives shelter from the sea breezes (Read Gales)

Was much more comfortable than the windy foreshore parks.
FollowupID: 667694

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 01:21

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 01:21
Hello Gerry, Alan et al

If you havent seen this before it makes for interesting reading

WAM report - George Greys whalers

Cheers
Greg

PS for those who dont have them..Greys Journal V1
Greys Journal V2

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667739

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:29

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:29
Thanks for those links, Greg,
Whew! Looks like my day's taken up now!!!
rgds
Gerry
FollowupID: 667780

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 20:43

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 20:43
Thanks Greg, very interesting reading!!

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667857

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:30

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 14:30
Girl at work got back just before Christmas and she said that there were heaps of fish in the estuary and good tailor & mullaway from the beach. Damned hot in Summer, great in the cooler months. We've stayed at the Murchison Caravan Park and it was great.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 398659

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:10

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 16:10
Hi Michael,

We spent a few pleasant days at Kalbarri last August. Stayed at the Anchorage CP which was busy but pleasant although the amenities blocks can be rather busy. There is a lot to see and do there - we were particularly interested in seeing the wildflowers in the park and we were not disappointed. Have a look here for a bit more info.
And yes, like everywhere on the NW coast it was always windy!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 398686

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 18:25

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 18:25
Hi Michael

When staying at a CP we have chosen the CP out at Red Bluff, but it can be windy - hard to light the gas burner to cook breakfast once. We have also stayed at a cottage in town and walked to the sand spit to fish each evening, where we got mainly under sized bream.

The bird aviaries on the way out to the Bluff are worth visiting too.

The Galena Bridge free camp is ideal for an overnighter if travelling north - a little way north of the turnoff for an overnighter on the way if coming from the south.

Kalbarri is a lovely neat tourist town, now much expanded due to residential land releases (and we haven't been there for a few years now). Nice drives to points along the coast south of the town (pleasant and easy drive all the way to Horrocks Beach - i think it is all bitumised now). Nice views and walks in the Murchison gorge.

Enjoy your stay.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 398713

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:01

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:01
Was up there last year and found that the Red Bluff C/van Park closed. Some developer has bought the land.
Had an offer they couldn't refuse.

Tony S
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667716

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:35

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 23:35
What a shame - much nicer out there than in town.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667724

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:26

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:26
Certainly was.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667746

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:29

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:29
Certainly was.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667747

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:31

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 02:31
Hello we have an echooo.
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667748

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:40

Monday, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:40
Ahh, I was wondering why that CP had closed. What a prime location for development. Such is the case too often these days, with CPs being redeveloped.

The big residential development on the hill by town has magnificent views (and prices to match), but I wonder how the houses will stand up to the winds (gales?) and salt air.

Been making a habit of spending a week or two in Kabarri each winter these recent years, but in accommodation, not CPs. Beats Perth's winter, and it's only half a day's drive. Who cares if the fish aren't biting, it's such a great place to relax.
Gerry
FollowupID: 667785

Reply By: Richard W (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 18:56

Sunday, Jan 10, 2010 at 18:56
Dropped in back in July 07 and definitly worthwhile the only problem it was wet and the dirt roads were closed so we had to stick to the blacktop.
AnswerID: 398724

Sponsored Links