Tyres???

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 00:10
ThreadID: 7507 Views:2400 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have been reading lots of forum articles over the weekend(weekend duty on a minesite is tuff!!) anyway there is a lot about the Cooper tyres. I hope that the Coopers that are supplied in Oz are better than those supplied to South America!! I have a Mitsy L200(triton) dual cab TD and use it onsite and also to get around Peru, the Coopers lasted 11K nothing more!! these were the MT variety. We have used Cooper, Goodyear, Bridgestone, and are now trialling Michelin. I have 100k on my unit and have found that the Bridgy's were the best to date getting 20k. I do a lot of mountain driving(bitumen) and not slowly so obviously the corners are gone before the crown but, even the crown depth is down to 5mm after these km's.

I am having a hard time coming to grips with reports of between 50k and 90k from a set of tyres??

Yes my pressures are right!! i do not want to leave a corner to float 1000m into the wild blue wilderness!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:53

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 08:53
My tyres have done cape york from adelaide, 6 trips to the flinders, 3 trips through ngarkat, alice springs from adelaide, beachport to robe + the trip from adelaide, umpteen trips down south on day excursions and 50kms a day in the city for the last 10 months which is about 30,000kms and they are about 50% worn.....
33x12.5x15's khumo adventurers...._____________________________________________

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:11

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 13:11
Jeez the road surface over there must be bloody abrasive. If I couldn't get 50K from a set of tyres I'd be really peed off! Maybe your speedo's buggered, or your calculator is.
AnswerID: 32399

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:36

Tuesday, Sep 30, 2003 at 23:36
Horrace : good to hear from someone on a different continent !! Well , ...should you ever comew to Aus u will find that the terrain is a hell of a lot different than that which you describe in Peru !!! We have nothing like the hilly areas you mention and almost no bitumen , except on flat straight line stuff... in some cases hundreds of kays withought much more than a tweak of the wheel !! So don't get too worked up about tyre mileage.... the terrain in Aus in general is far more forgiving, as it is all loose stuff and in the Outback bitumen is rarely encountered !!! Come over and have a bo- peep,,,!!
AnswerID: 32442

Follow Up By: horrace - Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 23:12

Thursday, Oct 02, 2003 at 23:12
No need to, I am Ozzie!! been round Óz twice. driven more dirt than bitumen in Australia(mining again!) but even when i was there i still couldn´t get decent mileage from my tyres., i think the best i got in Oz was when i had a Vdub station wagon(poor surfers 4WD!!) and had bridgy ATs on it.Oh and the "hilly"areas, i live at 3300m and get to 5000m regularly(on the bike too), this is twice the hieght of Kosiosko!!
I have done some great trips here, would love to get out into the real Amazon basin but its a tad suss as the old Sendero luminoso(shining path)n and coke runners are out there in force and think nothing of putting a slug in ya!
In truth i think the bad mileage is due to me driving fairly rapidly and scuffing away the tread!maybe the really cold temps have a hardening effect as well?
I55l be back in Oz in 4 weeks and pick up the new TD cruiser in Brissy ready for the drive back to Darwin, sold my engel to a Canadian here and bought one off the net so thats waiting as well.

See ya soon.
FollowupID: 23360

Sponsored Links