Camping fridges

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 751 Views:2079 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering buying an Autofridge eutectic type 73 litre for use in central Australia. Camping trips from two days to a week or so.Can anyone tell me if this particular type of fridge will cope in temperatures up to mid 40s,obviously fridge will be kept in shade and lid opened sparingly etc.Must keep the beer chilled
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael- Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
Bart. These are fantastic fridges. A mate of mine has a 40 litre. He broke down in the Simpson and was trucked to Alice. The vehicle sat in the workshop for 5 days without being started. The second battery obviously went flat however the contents of the fridge was still cold when he went to pick up the vehicle. Not a bad advert eh??
AnswerID: 2072

Reply By: Bart - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Micheal
The benefit of the Autofridge for me is the fact that I only need to run fridge hopefully for two to three hours morning and night as apparently the gel within fridge walls stays cold for up to twenty hours.If this is the case in extremely hot conditions I need never run out of chilled beer on trips of a week or more. My other question is if I do get three to four days out of fridge before needing to run vehicle. How long would I need to run car for to charge my deep cycle second battery and is it worth running a third battery in parallel or going to solar panels to extend times between recharges.
AnswerID: 2075

Follow Up By: Nigel - Sunday, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Feb 24, 2002 at 01:00
If you are using a deep cycle battery for your aux then they prefer a slower charge than an alternator. Have a look at the Unisolar panels at www.unisun.com.au - they cope better with the heat than the old style panels and they have no glass to break. If you only run your fridge for 4-6 hours a day, then a 64 watt unisolar panel should cope well and probably triple the time between a full recharge. Downside is cost of panel and regulator. I found running my car for an hour does stuff all to recharge my 90 Ah deep cycle.
FollowupID: 771

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2002 at 01:00
Bart the auto fridge is brilliant I did a 6 month trip across the top end with the wife 3 kids and a dog it did not let us down once.How ever the kids have left home and we mainly do smaller trips now so I am down grading to the smaller size in the auto fridge my 73 litre is for sale if you are interested.my email is stellen@start.com.au
AnswerID: 2146

Sponsored Links