Best way to Birdsville from Wollongong

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 14:34
ThreadID: 75122 Views:4158 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All we are planning a trip in Oct this year. We are doing the Flinders ranges as a charity drive and meeting in Broken Hill. However we are thinking since we are heading out that far that we may leave bit earlier and also do some other exploring ie goto Birdsville.

So we are thinking Syd > Birdsville > then Birdsville to Broken hill. I have looked on Google Maps are there seem a number of different ways to go.

Which are are the recommended routes and times for a trip like this?

This is a rough Itinerary. Is it realistic and I would like more info on routes and places to see.

Leave Wollonong or Bathurst on Sunday 10th, head to Birdsville arrive Wednesday 13th
Drive the Birdsville Track taking our time, head to Broken Hill arrive 18th
Join the Drive4Life Group, head to Flinders Ranges and Corner Country finishes 26th Head home from Broken Hill on the 27th

Also is the Strzelecki included in this route from Birdsville to B/Hill???

We will be in a group of 3, GU Patrol, 80series and Prado all well setup.

thanks in advance
Aaron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 14:41

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 14:41
Aaron.

A place to visit is Cameron Corner. Couple of drinks at the put and camp in the dunes a km or so to the back of the pub. Plenty of firewood and nobody to tell you what you can and cannot do.
Track across the top of Sturt NP would also be good. Bore track?
Lots to see and some nice camping spots.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 398983

Follow Up By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 14:42

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 14:42
sorry about that, "pub" not Put.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 667958

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 15:44

Tuesday, Jan 12, 2010 at 15:44
Hi Aaron, from your description of your itinerary you would be doing quite a bit of backtracking in that you would be going from Maree at the southern end of the Birdsville track all the way back east to Broken Hill, then to head west again to the Flinders. Then by the sound of things you are going up the Strzelecki towards Innaminka and Im guessing home via the corner country.

Since your time is limited (and you will be doing the Strz track anyway) I would suggest that you spend your days before you get to Broken Hill exploring around western NSW - Mootawingie NP, Menindee Lakes, Milaprinka, Tibooburra White Cliffs etc, or even Lake Mungo NP which is a bit south of B Hill.

Could I also suggest that if you are going out into that country on your own then get a good set of paper maps both for planning and for safety when travelling. The Hema Road and 4WD Atlas is a good way to start, and available through this site.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 398992

Reply By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:02

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 09:02
Hi All. I have been looking at maps (Google Earth) and to try and paint a better picture of the intentions.

The idea we had was to try and get to Birdsville from Wollongong. Then take the Birdsville track Sth to Broken Hill, where we are meeting a group for charity drive through the Flinders.

So to try and not double up tracks (as much as possible) what would be the best route to Birdsville from Wollongong so we can track down via Maree > Lyndhurst to B/Hill? Hope all that makes sense.

cheers Aaron
AnswerID: 399966

Reply By: Member - Aaron L (NSW) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:06

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:06
After type in an Idea of the Route on Google Maps here is what is came up with. DOES it look right?? or have I entered incorrectly from Cameron Cnr to Birdsville???
Link is MAP and route is Site Link
AnswerID: 399983

Sponsored Links