Sat Nav's

Sassy Sally our navigator is working well BUT getting old especially her 6 yr old maps . We are doing another lap in April and Navman have advised software for pre 2006 is no longer available.I,m inclined to wait till she dies and then upgrade rather than now has anyone recently done a trip with old maps and found them adequate.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:33
Based on our recent experience with Navman and their total lack of interest after we purchased a faulty unit directly from them I wouldnt touch them with a long stick. We ended up going having to go to consumer affairs to get a result. We SHOULD have remembered 6 years back when we tried to get an answer from them regarding a NavSleeve we had for our IPAQ which needed new maps. At the time it had cost over $600 for the sleeve and 2 years down the track they no longer supported it.

Garmin on the other hand has answered quieries in less that 24 hours.

As she climbs down off her soapbox..... LOL.

Cheers

Sue
AnswerID: 399197

Follow Up By: Ian & Sue - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:36

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:36
Oh perhaps I should add that we are supposed to have the latest Navman maps in our unit - took it for a drive to Kalbarri a few weeks ago and it didnt recognise the road from Northampton to Kalbarri (coastal scenic drive). Kept telling us to perform a legal U turn all the way. That road has been sealed for over 10 years now and has been there since, hmmm.. well I remember going down it in 1982! You would think that such a major tourist route close to perth would be in the maps. Should be interesting when we head over to NSW and QLD in a few months eh.
FollowupID: 668188

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:33

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:33
I had a Garmin and didnt like it so now have a Tomtom Go 730.

Tom Tom maps are about $139

Garmin have a lifetime map subscription for about $200 which if it is actual .

new maps and not just upgrades would be a good idea I think>

Lots on here swear by Garmin so you will get some info no doubt.

I didnt like mine because it was often late when I got to an off ramp I would be past it before it told me to take it.

AnswerID: 399199

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:11

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:11
Hi Graham,
you just gotta stop using that jet fuel in your vehicles.... lol...
no wonder you "fly"past those intersections.... lol...
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 668201

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:40

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:40
As long as you are not trying to find a street in a new subdivision you will be ok.

How many people do you see with a 6 year old street directory? Heaps.

If a highway is re-aligned or something then I am sure you will still find your way!
AnswerID: 399204

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:47

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 16:47
It will depend where you're travelling and if you want to use the new freeways (M7 west of Sydney, Albury/Wodonga bypass, etc.). I wouldn't expect many of the main roads around Oz to change that much, but you could be in for a few surprises as you approach expanding cities like Brisbane or Perth! It might depend how much you rely on the GPS - some people seem to switch off their brains when they switch on the GPS while others just refer to it occasionally to confirm that they're where they think they are!

Have you recently visited your local Dick Smith/JB HiFi and look at prices for a new unit with up-to-date maps and a whole swag of extra features? The new units (which come with new maps) are not much more expensive than a map update! But I agree, it seems wrong to chuck a functional unit.
AnswerID: 399208

Reply By: dbish - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:13

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 18:13
Hi New boy Ifits 6Yrs old any brand GPS the electronics in it are probably near there use by date by now, I would be looking at a new unit. Cheers Daryl
AnswerID: 399223

Reply By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:04

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:04
Hello,
I use my gps a lot when in unfamiliar areas only so that I readily know what the speed limit is. Speed limits regularly change so up to date maps are an advantage fo this. Mine also signals a warning if I drift over the limit or enter a slower area with the cruise still on.
Cheers
mike
AnswerID: 399301

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:13

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:13
Forgot to mention red light cameras, speed cameras and school zones. Even when trying to do the right thing, it's easy to get caught out when in a strange place
FollowupID: 668276

Reply By: Member - Cantiva Clay (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 14:08

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 14:08
Hi New Boy, funny what you say about navman lack of service, a friend has had trouble with their unit and found their service level next to non-existent as well. I use a tom tom, agree the red light cameras are handy...providing your paying attention, also you can get a quality unit for under $300, personally the fancy models are a large mark-up for features I don't think your likely to use. The TT has map share which is handy for getting updates but in practice not sure its followed up that much - eg street I was told to follow in Canberra had a motorway through it now! The TT requires emphirus (spelling?) updates from the internet to make up for a low sensitivity GPS receiver chip, more than a couple of weeks with out updates- 2 months it starts to loose its ability to get a lock- not normally a problem just something to be aware of. In the countryside it really only shows main/significant roads eg on a hema map bold dashed lines or greater, but it does have country town roads in it which is good. If you are going of the beaten track you really need to go down the topo gps road either have 2 gps or a combined unit eg hema or similar, and good ol oziexplorer. Interesting I bought the map pack last year and some of those maps were 10~15 years+ since last reviewed! But like others have said its not really a problem if you use your common-sense. You can pick up a good quality gps ex ebay for $300 and just add ozi/maps and build your own 7" combined gps for <$600. But make sure its a model with a battery!
AnswerID: 399362

Sponsored Links