Googs Track Feedback

4th January 2010 we did the track.
Watch out as you go over the dunes, the tracks after the top may or may not be straight ahead.
Very overgrown sides, if you dont get scratched, you'll be very lucky.
Hema map doesnt show the left hand exit to Malboomba, but there is no right exit we could see, and "they" said the left side had been bulldozed
Kingoonya Hotel is open (has been for three years) and fuel - both diesel and unleaded is available, but by card only (Ceduna told us credit card only, but all cards accepted) - dont have to go to Glendambo for fuel, then back to go the circuit.
Problem will be National Parks want to close it because they dont want to bother with it.
We ought to start a campaign.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:32

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:32
Lyall,
We were out there in August for 2 weeks with a group doing field work with the DEH.

The north end of the track was realigned a few years back as it used to go straight past the homestead at malboomba. I'm sure Hema are aware of this and future maps will be updated, if not already.

Yeah Kingoonya Hotel is great - our group stayed for a great meal at the pub - the couple running it were doing a great job. And the new fuel facility worked well for us too. Fuel was a fair bit cheaper than Glendambo as well.

Having worked with the DEH out in Yellabinna, I'm disturbed by your last two sentences. Sounds like you're making it up. What gave you that impression???

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 399266

Follow Up By: Member - lyall h (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:45

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:45
Hi Phill,
Its a two-edged sword

talking of "National parks not bothering" i meant signs are very few or non-existant (I missed the drums but maybe that was just me?), a few more signs wouldnt go astray.
Also the handout from Ceduna is outdated,

On the other hand they are a bit peeved off that "we" dont remove sticks etc if we use them on the track when we get bogged, and if it carries on they may shut. (A comment said to me from Kingoonya)

So its a bit of both, anyone using the track should look after it and maybe a bit more interest on National parks side wouldnt go astray either.

Next trip I do there will be deliberately helping clean up, just to prove not all users are idiots, and i reckon - even better - a few 4x4's together deliberately "cleaning up & advertising we care about a great track" might rub off on Parks too.

Besides, i might also find the camp chair we lost

Not made up, just impressions I got.
Regards
Lyall
FollowupID: 668287

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:32

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:32
We went through in October and the info centre at Ceduna were certainly discouraging towing. I think they have to take into account inexperienced people taking a track into the unknown.

The comment on sticks on the track puzzle me. Perhaps a suggestion that people need to lower tyre pressures to enjoy the experience would be more helpful. Sticks anywhere near the track can cause punctures. Sounds like the idiot factor has still be present.

We didn't find an absence of signs dissuaded us from anything, just realise you are in a remote area though and need to take care of yourself. Some friends doing the track a few weeks ahead of us made us more wary, perhaps than we need to have been.

Lyall, sounds like your camp chair you lost may already be someone's junk. I took a bike through on my rack.
FollowupID: 668332

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 19:18

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 19:18
Sorry Lyall,
I still think your criticism of "National Parks" is unfounded and unfair. Having spent time out there with these people, I respectfully say you've got the wrong end of the stick.

The DEH manage the Yellabinna Regional Reserve and Yumbarra Conservation parks. They are not just there for the tourists and 4wd enthusiasts. A considerable amount of DEH Resources go into managing multiple interests - in particular, keeping watch over the huge amount of mining activity that has been happening west of Googs Track.

In South Australia we have "Friends groups". You'll find a list of them HERE. These are groups of volunteers who do a lot of the work that the limited resources of the DEH can't do. I belong to a couple of these groups. You can get an idea of what we got up to on Googs track in august on this website.

We rarely close tracks in South Australia. I give a lot of credit to this because there is good dialogue and trust between the interested parties, and in particular the work of whats now called 4wdSA and their NRAU.

Instead of "starting a Campaign" feel free to provide constructive criticism, or better still join one of the many volunteer groups and help manage these areas.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 668380

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 04:34

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 04:34
lyall

Cheers for that .

May do the track this year, but still unsure as yet ..

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 399300

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:40

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:40
.......'Kingoonya Hotel is open (has been for three years) and fuel - both diesel and unleaded is available, but by card only (Ceduna told us credit card only'

What !!! They won't accept cash for payment ? If so, legally they can't refuse.
AnswerID: 399315

Follow Up By: greybeard - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:36

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:36
some fuel pumps have a swipe card on them to activate. it's rather difficult to get them to recognise the money when you swipe it in the credit card slot :)

i might be mistaken, but have seen these kind of pumps in a lot of smaller country towns all over the place. All of them have been unmanned pumping outlets so there isn't anyone to take the cash. Others have fixed price cards that you can pay for in varying ways and then you stick them into the pump to get your fuel.
It's a great way of providing 24x7 fuel service for low volume places. probably see a lot more of them in the future.

FollowupID: 668302

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:09

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 11:09
Try paying cash for a hire car at the airport!!

FollowupID: 668307

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:05

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:05
smaller towns like perth for example?

my local gull is pin number card only
FollowupID: 668315

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:57

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:57
Dio,
Greybeard has got it right. The fuel at Kingoonya is unmanned and owned by the Maralinga Tjarutja Community out of Ceduna. Swipe card access only - you type in a max amount, and it gets approval before the pump gives you the fuel.
FollowupID: 668370

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:17

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:17
Hi,
had a tick through there 14/15 Oct last year.
Brilliant flowers trees fantastic, must have been a bit of rain previous.
I think I was the only one in the vicinity of Goog Dentons Lake on the night of the 14th, it rained that night and the lake increased in size from few square metres to a bigger puddle, looking at the marks the dromedary's left they enjoyed it, can't say I felt the same about the wheel marks and circles left by idiots on the salt.
I found every one most helpful from Ceduna to Tarcoola spent the night there in the truck yard out the back of the Pub, the couple of colds ended up being a few/ lot more, that's my problem meet nice people and a few beers I have trouble getting away.
I will agree the track is a little overgrown, aired down to 18lb no problem with the dunes. not so good with my ExplorOz sand flag that scored some collateral damage from overhanging limbs.
Some where north of Goog's lake lost my KIWI flag but worse, if it can be worse lost my GERBER folding knife when the sheath let go.
If any one finds these items and can return them it would be appreciated.
Have fun out there.
AnswerID: 399392

Sponsored Links