dropping the lpg tank to replace with petrol for a long trip

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:42
ThreadID: 75183 Views:2506 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
has anyone heard of dropping the lpg out of a dual fuel nissan patrol temporarily for an outback trip, and replacing with a long range petrol tank? Can you do it? and about how much would we be up for.
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Malcolm (Townsville) - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:51

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 20:51
stanners

ask the same question on http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum and I'm sure you will get an authoritive answer.

Unless Roachie gets in here with an answer LOL

Malcolm
living the 'good life'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399252

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:18

Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 21:18
It certainly can be done , but you have given no description of your system or car Stanners.

You may have to take it to a gas fitters to determine some things as some of the fittings and designed to be 1 use only in some systems.

Other issue is that its relativly easy to remove gas tank and run from your sub tank which is now the main petrol tank , but when you fit the big petrol tank as your auxilary you have to pump the petrol back to it as it empties.

I used a VL commodore fuel pump and a manual switch to transfer fuel on my homemade fuel tank so this was quite cheap.

You of course have the option to re-wire things back the way they where originally and put the main fuel pump back into the new main tank, but this depends a lot on what bits you have and is likely to be much more involved.

The really cheap way is to not rewire in the new main tank at all , and drain fuel through the drain plug into a low profile container and pour it back into the existing tank but nobody I know would admit to doing that - well maybe I did it once.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 399260

Reply By: Rod W - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:54

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:54
Have you considered and/or is there the capacity to install an additional tank above the rear drive shaft?
AnswerID: 399335

Reply By: stanners - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:49

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:49
Thanks for your advice, looks like we need to talk to a few more people.
Stanners
AnswerID: 400139

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:14

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:14
Stanners,

If I read this correct, you want to disconnect a LPG gas tank, all the gas filling system and wiring and then fit an long range tank with all the filling pipes and wiring for one big trip and then refit the gas system after the trip.

It is not like unhooking the BBQ gas bottle.

It would be cheaper and more practical to have jerry cans or buy a diesel Patrol.

Long outback trips and LPG don't mix

Wayne
AnswerID: 400147

Sponsored Links