Suspension upgrade for Nissan Navara

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 13, 2010 at 22:41
ThreadID: 75189 Views:18871 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Happy New Year to all,
Hope exploreoz users have had a safe and happy holiday period.
I have a mate who is currently towing an extender camper trailer with a duelcab nissan navara (diesel), and wants to upgrade his suspension as under towing conditions and off road use as per manufacturers supplied suspension is found wanting.
I have experience with nissan patrols, but not Navaras. He has been to some suspension fitters and has had a bit of conflicting info. I probably confused him a bit more when I suggested if he looked at airbags etc.
I suggested to him that I would put it out to the exploreoz users as there is bound to be someone out there that has probably been through a similar situation and could offer some sound knowledge on the Nissan Navara Diesel duelcab in relation to suspensions. He is not after liftkit, but wants to beef suspension up.
Would appreciate info that I can pass onto him.
Cheers - Nugget
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The other Norm C (WA) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:32

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:32
G'Day Nugget
Personalty I would steer clear of air bag suspension and look at
having the rear springs re-set or an extra leaf put in.If he's towing a lot and or carrying a reasonable load I think re springing is the way to go.Just my 2cents worth
Norm
AnswerID: 399295

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 04:27

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 04:27
Nugget
We had a Navara, D22 model, and it didn't take long for the suspensiono to die.

Got Ride Pro Springs fitted, longer shackles ect..with the Poly Air bags that I had fitted the year before... Also had the torsion bars re-adjusted. Shockers

All up with Poly Airs, and $ $1150.
Better suspension, than when it came out of the factory and softer too..
needed to adjust Poly Air's.. out with the bike pump. a couple of pumps and it was brilliant..

Cheers
Bucky

ps I think there is Ride Pro...Canada and China,,,,... get the Canada ones.

AnswerID: 399299

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:51

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 06:51
Nugget,

I upgraded my D20 dualcab with a complete kit from Ironman. Very reasonable price (like half the cost of an OME). Springs, shocks and tortion bars. I did it as In was towing the Tambo camper trailer around australia for 12 months. Best move I ever made. The Ironman stuff was great and very good after sales service. I used their springs on the Patrol as well.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 399302

Reply By: Member - Gary J (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:00

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:00
I had ARB install OME springs and shocks in our D40. Total lift about 45mm. Yes, it was expensive, but it worked a treat on the Old Telegraph track in Cape York last July.
AnswerID: 399342

Reply By: itsdave - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:43

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 13:43
Hi
I had my D40 suspension redone as we to tow a camper trailer on mainly outback roads.
Replaced the front struts with Bilsteins and heavy duty King springs, on the rear King heavy duty springs and Tough Dog shocks. Only problem we had was the rear springs were still too soft so King springs added an exra leaf into them
Hope this is of some help

Cheers Dave
AnswerID: 399359

Reply By: splits - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:00

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 18:00
Nugget

While your mate is trying to make up his mind as to which way to go, tell him to enter the words "'dual cab chassis bending" into Google and read everything that comes up. It would appear maximum loads and load distribution is critical on all makes of dual cabs, particularly when towing anything.
AnswerID: 399401

Reply By: 1200owen - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 20:45

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 20:45
There are a lot of forum posts around, and I am still trying to figure it out myself.

I have an STX D40 dual cab with aftermarket 2 inch kit. 2 inch is a lie - they are all only 30-40mm on the front and 50-60mm on the rear.

More than 50mm true lift will cause you problems with alignment.

What ever you decide, buy the best one he can afford.

If your mate has a bull bar, go for heavy duty springs on the front, so you don't nose dive and leave yourself some options for playing around, as your first choice is probably not be the one you will end up with?

Definitely go the lift, and expect it to settle and sag, as they all do a little. The original suspension in mine had sagged over an inch before it had 30km on it. It now has 60km, and has sagged on the new suspension as well about half an inch???

If your mate feels comfortable, check out the 3 inch kits at PRG Products in the USA, as they are quite cheap for DIY stuff, and the only ones offering more than 40mm lift? Exchange rate is excellent now too.

I have airbags in the rear, and will probably take them out, because the space from axle to chassis is not enough to get good travel off-road. I will go to extended shackles and better shocks instead to get back the travel I have lost.

Good rear shocks is the key to getting good ride performance when towing. Some say Tough Dog foam cell and some say adjustable Koni - not sure myself which is best - do some homework. You get what you pay for, so if money is not a probelm get a set of PRG coil overs, with adjustable ride height.

I have just come back from Tassy and have several new scars on the bash plate, so I am wanting more height, but here in Qld we are limited to the 40mm - that sucks?

There are some good posts on 4wd action forum as well.

If you want more options check out snake racing as they import Calmini from USA and have options up to 7 inches?

Good luck?
AnswerID: 400505

Sponsored Links