Jessica Watson - Solo Sailor Rounds Cape Horn!!

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:15
ThreadID: 75191 Views:3596 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Jessica Watson the 16yo Aussie girl attempting to be the youngest to sail solo around the world has just passed Cape Horn after 88 days at sea.

She is now approaching her half way point in the voyage.

Jessica Conquers Cape Horn

Well done girl, keep at it!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:48

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:48
Thanks for the update :)

I must say I haven't been following the young lady's progress, but I was just thinkin' about her this evening, wondering how she was going...

Good to see that she's goin' OK

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 399296

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:52

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 00:52
Ed she sounds so positive when you watch her video's.

She has suffered some heavy weather and rounded the Horn in 40 knot winds but she takes it all in her stride.

Fantastic effort!!

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 668267

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:55

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 08:55
Good on her, I knew she could do it, and her Mum and Dad were going to be flying over her as she went round the Cape. Lets hope the next half of her trip goes just as smooth as the last half.

Stay safe Jess, take care!

Karen
AnswerID: 399319

Reply By: Stu-k - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:41

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:41
She will be a hero if she makes it and a fool if she doesnt
AnswerID: 399332

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:19

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:19
Gday

That's not a nice thing to say. She is a young lady who is testing herself to the extreme limit . And I say good on her for trying.
Have you done that Stu-K?

Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 668316

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:48

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:48
He's just stating the facts Murray. The news media have already written the headlines (as they do) for win, loss or draw :-))

KK
FollowupID: 668323

Follow Up By: Stu-k - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 14:17

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 14:17
Yeah just the facts. I also agree good on her for having a go, hopefully she will be lucky.
Yes I have tested my limit many times, sports bikes(zx12, r1, blades etc) road and track. I have had friends die, disabled, jailed we all tested the limit.
FollowupID: 668338

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:27

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:27
G/Day All

Aussies should be very proud of her, she has completed 50% of the trip, and know doubt she will finish the second half god willing, she has more guts than a lot of grownups 3 times her age, and she deserves the Accolades when she comes back home, and the Big Dollars that go with it, Go Kid.

Cheers
AnswerID: 399348

Reply By: stevesub - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:45

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 12:45
I agree, she has done extremely well and I follow her blogs every day. I got a lot of stick from friends and rellies who though that she was a nutter, too young, mad parents, etc when she started but I have always supported her.

She is not the first and will not be the last "Youngie" to do the really big lap - in fact there is another one starting later this week from the USA. Abby Sunderland who is 16. Her older 17 year old brother just finished his big lap last year

http://soloround.blogspot.com/ and http://www.abbysunderland.com/

Any kid who does this is to be admired for even wanting to do the big lap, then having the guts to actually do it.

Good on then and go for it Jessica.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 399353

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 16:46

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 16:46
I was initially of the school "she's too young, it's all too dangeroues etc"

Then one evening I was talking to my cousin on the phone and I realised that young lady will pack more life into the trip than my cousin will dribble into 70 or 80 years!

Later I went so far as to run a very scientific pole (similar to the diesel v petrol debate) I asked my 17yo daughter her thoughts.

She thought it was "pretty cool"

Smart kid my 17yo, she came back with, "Dad, if I wanted to do something like that would you support me?"

My answer? "Well you're almost old enough to just go do it regardless of what I say so I'd rather be involved and you be as safe as possible than have you just go do it"

Go for it Jessica,

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 399387

Follow Up By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 20:29

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 20:29
Yep, i knocked her at first too. Until i read her first couple of blogs and have been following her ever since. She's a helluva lot more mature and game then i am thats for sure.

But seeing first hand what the pirates of today are capable of i just hope and pray that they have done there research and have some protection for her when she nears African waters. She is a sitting duck, and she has some very expensive gear onboard, not too mention all the sponsors too. dont think they would sit back and just let her be held captive with there name all over the boat.

Best of luck to her though. But definitely not what i would be doing if i was 16 again and had her dollars.
FollowupID: 668398

Follow Up By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:44

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:44
Boss,
Her passage past the Horn of Africe will be so far south that she will not even sight land.

There are two reasons for this passage, the lesser of the two is to be way out of range of Somalian and other pirates. They operate on the African east coast more toward the north where the sea conditions and pickings are more favourable.

The major reason for the deep south is the roaring forties, those trade winds the old Dutch East India traders used to ride until nearly WA and then turn north toward Indonesia.

Her next land sighting should be the south west corner of Western Australia, that's a long passage in open ocean.

Whilst rounding the tip of South America is a major milestone and a great achievement in Jessica's journey the toughest bit is still to come.

Geoff

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

FollowupID: 668486

Reply By: Ozboc - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:07

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 17:07
Good on her !!! the big finger to the doubters and wowsers that say her parents are irresponsible .. she could be going out on the weekend getting drunk and taking ekkys and geting preg like most of her peers

But she has shown maturity and determination that surpasses all her peers and a lot of people older than her also .... if she fails -- so be it -- at least she had the GUTS to get off the playstation / computer / Couch and gives it a damn good go

Remember when you judge her wrongly - that there are people that judge YOU wrongly for far less things that you do ... perfect example is being a 4x4'er .....

BOC
AnswerID: 399390

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 20:23

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 20:23
As i said to her knockers from day one. I hope she gives you the good old Aussie finger as she cruises in through the heads on her way home. Too many people ready to put her down from the start. Good on you Jess you have my respect.
Duke
FollowupID: 668394

Sponsored Links