GPS or Navigator

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 20:06
ThreadID: 75205 Views:2159 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day am looking at buying a handheld mapping GPS or as a second option a navigator.
Would be used to show us where we are, I will also be using paper maps.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers
Cooperdog
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:20

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:20
Gooday,
noticed you are not getting any replies... that is probably because most people have replied to hundreds of these requests and the question has been done to death.

You need to narrow it down a bit. Suggest you do your own research on this site and that of sites like GPSoZ etc. Then come back with more specifics. Yes, I know, the options are bewildering etc. But do your best then come back and ask more specific questions.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399480

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:31

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:31
Hi

If you have no intention of using the gps out of the car then some sort of "navigator" would probably be your best option. If you do intend on using it out of the car for slightly extended periods (exceeding say, 4 hours) with half a chance of rain/dust/dropping then a handheld of some type (some of which also provide street Nav functionality..though with typically smaller screen and possibly no voice prompts) maybe the best course of action.

Plan C is to get one of each, depends on your intended uses and budget, you don’t say. Also take into consideration available maps and the ability to record and save tracks, waypoints and routes (and cost of additional software required). Many options these day so it gets a bit confusing. Keep asking questions and the right answer for you will hopefully emerge.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399482

Reply By: Member - res.q.guy (Vic.) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:04

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:04
Ideally go with Greg's (The Explorer) plan C if you can, seams to work for me.
I have a Garmin Nuvi as a navigator, (which has CN2010, Shonky,T4A, and Oztopo maps), and a Garmin 60Cx for use when walking, or out in the tinnie, (which has Shonky,T4A, Oztopo and Bluechart maps).
The 60Cx also connects to the laptop, and used with OziExplorer (which has Natmap, Hema, Rooftop, Maridian, Spatial Vision, Vicroads, Melways, CFA, DSE and various state maps at 1:25000 or 1:50000) to download tracks etc, or as a moving map system. You are covered for almost anything you want to do.
Cheers
Neil
AnswerID: 399495

Sponsored Links