Coral Bay and Exmouth in Feb

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 22:01
ThreadID: 75211 Views:2624 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All

We are planning a 4 week trip up north along the coast towing our jayco finch, staying in Kalbarri, Coral Bay, Monkey Mia and heading as far as Exmouth to Cape Range NP, I know it is going to be hot but not to phased about the heat.

Just wondering if anyone has been up there during that time of the year and what the weather and wind conditions were like?

Cheers Neil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 22:26

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 22:26
Hi,

We have just travelled that path - Coral Bay is just the most beautiful place!!! snorkeling is great. At Exmouth we stayed at the BIG 4 park quite nice. Weather was warm (however we have just spent 5 mths in Kununurra so the sea breeze at Exmouth was GREAT). Personally would NOT go back to Monkey Mia - thought it was a Rip off and really over rated, we stayed at Denham Top Tourist park - Denham is a really nice place!.

You can read our blogs at http://www.travelingoz.webs.com

Cheers
Caz
AnswerID: 399454

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:07

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:07
Second your comment about Monkey Mia

Went there about 10 am They said Dolphins gone

We just wanted to drive in have a coffee go home

$6 each thank you to drive in.

Then your camp fees on top if you wan to stay

Get real

Big U turn and we were off back to Denham where there is at least some nice scenery.

FollowupID: 668426

Follow Up By: stumbly1 - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:37

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:37
Third your comment about Monkey Mia.

Have been there 3 times just to be sure I was actually being ripped off !!

If your not on a tourist bus, forget it.....

Coral bay, Exmouth, etc. - you will love it ! if it gets too hot just go for a swim.
Don't forget your snorkeling gear....

Cheers, Keith
FollowupID: 668429

Follow Up By: sthdando - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:06

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:06
thanks for the replies...

we were up at kalbarri last sept and it was great and spent 5 nights in denham which was good except it was extremely windy for the whole trip but you can't choose the weather.

Monkey mia is not my ideal place to stay for a few nights either but me mrs likes the dolphins and the national park! And i suppose i drag her off fishing nearly every night we are away so it's give and take

Fingers crossed for nice weather and happy travels everyone

Cheers Neil
FollowupID: 668446

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:37

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 09:37
well I can tell you beer is cheaper at the resort than my local pub. and a bit of research would have told you 10.00am is far too late to see the dolphins
FollowupID: 668463

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:06

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:06
Did the research and the blurb said Dolphins come in usually in the morning and maybe up to lunchtime.

Didnt really want to see them as dolphins used to come up the canals past our house.

Was pointing out that they charge to get in to the place Dolphins or not.

Beer price wouldnt matter as dont drink during day especially if driving

FollowupID: 668468

Follow Up By: Matt Watson - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 13:35

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 13:35
If you are only going to monkey mia for the dolphins, just drop in at ledge point. There is a local dolphin which hangs around there all the time. Very friendly if you have a boat. Not as guaranteed as the ones at monkey mia, but not as crowded either.
FollowupID: 668522

Reply By: Bap - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:17

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:17
Hi sthdando
you would have to watch for cyclones at that time. We usually go to Ningaloo in April and that's only just at the end of the cyclone season.
cheers
Michelle
AnswerID: 399464

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:35

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:35
We were up that way last August and found it very windy. (have a look at our blogs) Locals told us that it always blows but in April the weather is good! We found the cheek by jowl camping at Cape Range NP very off-putting but we weren't prepared to start queing at 2am in a bid to get a campsite either.

Certainly agree with others' comments about Monkey Mia being a rip-off. They are happy to take your money later in the morning and only if asked will they tell you that feeding is over for the day. They only allow the dolphins to have a small number of fish each day and when those have been eaten, thats it, no more until tomorrow. So if the dolphins come in for a feed early in the morning, late visitors miss out (don't believe the signs at the roadhouse on the highway suggesting its a good idea to avoid crowds by going later).

Take your snorkelling gear as the water should be warm enough for it then.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399499

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:27

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:27
when I was there a few months ago while most of the camp range campsites were full there are another 2 the south side of yardie creek which were completley empty and free as they dont have a host. the host of the yardie creek camp told me if the ranger swings by theyll take your money but thats unlikely
FollowupID: 668476

Reply By: westozal - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:09

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:09
Hi ,
I note your ok with heat...but was 49 c the other day up there at Exmouth.
Have a good trip.
AL.
AnswerID: 399555

Reply By: Wizard1 - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:09

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:09
It isn't the heat but the humidity at that time of the year. It is obscene, unless you have aircon you can't escape it.

Plus, it is called the Cyclone Coast for a reason.
AnswerID: 399579

Sponsored Links