Lawn Hill Adels Grove

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:08
ThreadID: 75214 Views:3837 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have read numerous threads that speak favourably about Adels Grove/Lawn Hill and I am looking at visiting in July/Aug this year.

Am pulling a 3300kg 24 foot Semi off Road full van with 15' wheels control rider suspension and strong G&S Chasis and Hyland coupling. Tow vehicle Toyota 200 LC TTD with AT tyres.

I note some comments that roads only suitable for small vans and understandably must drive to conditions etc. My question is, should I take the large Van in and are there any readers that have taken similar size vans in or know of experience of others that have?

Will come in from Cloncurry side.

Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:39

Thursday, Jan 14, 2010 at 23:39
Firstly, good choice of places to visit. We have been twice and it is awesome! Can you take you van into Lawn Hill and camp there? If so, and you are self sufficient with power, that would be my choice. That way the George is only meters away when you want a dip, not a drive. Having said that you can wet your toes at Adel’s Grove. The road, like all unsealed roads varies greatly, It’s not a four wheel drive track, just a dirt road that is smooth after grading and rough when not.
Do all the walks you can, some are step but short(the stack), other a bit longer 5-7 km with an easier grade. I’m being naughty here, but ignore what you are told about not being able to canoe the second George(if they still say that), they are worried about the bottom’s of their clapped out canoe’s. There is a portage way on the left now I believe? The old one that was in the middle was washed away. Allow at least 4 days and a week if you can.
The only drawback I can see is the time you will be going, BUSY, make sure you book! We had the whole place to ourselves when last there in April 05.
Enjoy.
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 399471

Reply By: oldfart1953 - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:32

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 00:32
Dear Bobjl,
You will have a ball there, take your time & you will have no dramas. July/August will probably getting close to peak season. Two things I suggest, book in & when booking let them know how big you unit is so they can allocate you suitable site & prior to actually going to you site...walk to it, check for overhanging trees & obstacables that could cause a problem....trust me I was there a couple of months ago & speak with experiance.
Dont know which way you are going from Lawn Hill but if you take your time you will NOT have any problem going through Lawn Hill Station & coming out at Bowthorn Station then you can stay ay at????.....cant think of the name of the place but its on the Nicholson River.
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 399483

Follow Up By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:42

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 07:42
That is Kingfisher Camp and its well worth visiting. The campground is grassy and enough room to fit any size set up. Good facilities, small store, you can hire canoes. It really is a great little spot.

The road between Kingfisher and Lawn Hill is slow going, some bulldust patches and stoney sections but if you just take your time and its fine.

Also if you like reading then Pieces of Blue and Heart Country were written by Kerry McGinnis of Bowthorn Station and are both interesting reading and give an insight into the country around Bowthorn as well as other places in the area.

Have to agree about a visit to Lawn Hill...it's such a beautiful place. Also agree that you should book in early.

Viv
FollowupID: 668452

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:23

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 01:23
Lovely spot Bob. We had no trouble getting our rig there via the Riversleigh Road, from the Camooweal side, which was in very good condition. We chose to go back the same way due to the road condition. The two river crossings had concrete causeways; they were fast flowing but shallow in August. We stayed at Adel's Grove which was very pleasant; particularly as there were few campers there. Regular bitumen road caravans go there. I didn't think there was room for caravans of any size to camp at the national park camp ground at the Gorge.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 399488

Reply By: Bobjl - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 13:41

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 13:41
Folks
Thanks to all for positive and useful feedback. Will do what has been suggested.
Bob
AnswerID: 399561

Reply By: Member - John K - Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 21:26

Thursday, Jan 21, 2010 at 21:26
My suggestion would be to camp at Adel Grove rather than at the Lawn Hill camping area as there is very little room for a van and not much shade. In fact I think Adel controls all the bookings for both areas. We were there in August 2009 and it reached 40 degrees one day. Also Kingfisher is a great spot for a restful few days particularly if into birdwatching (The Feathered Variety).
All the Best
Farmer John
AnswerID: 400517

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:50

Friday, Jan 22, 2010 at 12:50
Thanks Farmer John, will investigate Kingfisher.
Bob
FollowupID: 669765

Reply By: wendys - Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 15:05

Wednesday, Jan 27, 2010 at 15:05
Cloncurry side is best approach way for you, giving you much less gravel road travel.
There is nothing about that route that should be a problem for large van, if driven carefully. After all, the supply roadtrain from Isa does it at least once a week - and he is bigger than you.
You may find some corrugated sections - depends when grader last on road. There will be a number of dips - mostly very shallow and gradual - but you need to be driving slowly enough to slow down GENTLY for these. The vast majority of those who present with tyre issues at Adels do so because they were driving too fast and heavily loaded.
I have seen full size Winnebagos and the like in there, as well as ordinary road vans.
Recommend Adels rather than the Nat Park campground. At Adels you have hot showers, in main camp area can have campfires, there is the shop/kiosk, meals available. You should book ahead, when certain of your dates. Staff should also be able to give you an idea of the road conditions.
If you like walking, there are several good walks at the NP. Canoeing the gorges is a must. May also be able to canoe at Adels itself - Lawn Hill Creek there is quite pretty. Can swim. Recommend the tour to Riversleigh Site D.
AnswerID: 401309

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:07

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:07
Thanks Wendys
FollowupID: 672781

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:42

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 20:42
it is a fairly good/tame dirt road but I do remember one particular dried-out creek bed that was a bit tight (steepish dip) for such a big van with not much of a departure angle. This was a couple of years back but i doubt if it's changed. Just take it easy and be prepared for a sudden sharp dip in the road. Can't remember exactly where but probably halfway-ish or more. Otherwise, I'd agree that Adels Grove would be a better bet than Lawn Hill. The staff a pretty obliging and will help - probably find you somewhere roomy for your van. Just ring them and ask - they're pretty helpful.
AnswerID: 403313

Follow Up By: Bobjl - Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:14

Monday, Feb 08, 2010 at 21:14
Will take care, reckon I 'll get a travelling mate with smaller rig out front with UHF to give early warning.
Bob
FollowupID: 672794

Sponsored Links