Birdsville Track Up Date

Hi All
In response to thread 75165 "Cooper to Flow Across the Birdsville Track in February and March" I have received a few mm re my reply. There have been a few people concerned that they may not be able to do this iconic Australian Track. I said I would speak first hand my friends from Etadunna Station for first hand knowledge.

Jason and Patsy are on holidays at the moment in Queensland, but the caretaker Manager has given the following information that will make everyone happy.

There had been local rain thought the area that has not caused any road closures. The rain in northern New South Wales and Queensland will mostly flow down the Darling and what water does get into the Cooper will make very little difference. Like I was told, the country is very dry out that way and most will be absorbed straight into the soil. The last big hurdle that has the ultimate effect is Lake Hope, before heading for the Birdsville Track. Lake Hope as I write this is bone dry and is going to need a very lot of water to get down that way, them fill it before making its way to the Birdsville Track.

So to those that have asked my, you should have no problems in driving the Track.

Cheers to All.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:48

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 14:48
Thanks Stephen. Isn't there a vehicle ferry for that crossing anyway, or has it fallen into disrepair?
AnswerID: 399573

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:01

Friday, Jan 15, 2010 at 15:01
Hi Timbo
The ferry still operates when there is water over the track and you have to go through their property to get to it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 668542

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 06:49

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 06:49
We had a dry run up the Birdsville track in 2004/5 ,.... NOT !
But did enjoy the mud Spa !

made it very interesting
Cheers
Bucky

Image Could Not Be Found

AnswerID: 399675

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 08:45

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 08:45
Hi Bucky
We have driven the Track many times in all sorts of weather. We to were caught out in 2005. Arrived at Marree at 1.30pm with very steady rain falling. Check with the local authorities to see if the Track was closed and was told it was still open to four wheel drive vehicles only. Biggest mistake we did was to head out. Nine hours later and at 10.30pm at night we finally made it into Mungerannie, just 210 kilometres in all that time. You have never seen so much water or mud all the may. Vehicles were arriving in small groups up until about 2 am next morning. The Birdsville Track was officially closed at 7am the next morning, with the depth of the water over the Derwent Creek at 600mm high. We then spend the next 3 days enjoying the great hospitality of Mungerannie.

What we were about to find out later was because of all that mud and water, 7 of my group of nine vehicles all had our brakes ruined, having a sand paper effect on the pads and wearing them down to metal to metal - another experience not wanting to do again.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 668642

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 15:55

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 15:55
Stephen
Never had that problem at all.

One thing that we did do was if we did hear a scraping sound from tyres/brakes, then would stop forward motion and reverse..

Maybe we were just plain lucky on that trip , but believe me there was plenty of mus and water.
Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 668881

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 19:59

Sunday, Jan 17, 2010 at 19:59
Hi Bucky
It sounds like we may have been in the desert similar times. There was wall to wall water while on our way up to Batton Hill.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 668971

Reply By: Teraa - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 18:11

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 18:11
On about the 06.01.10 there was water from the Derwent over the track but it's dry now.
AnswerID: 399760

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 19:05

Saturday, Jan 16, 2010 at 19:05
Hi Teraa
Thanks for that. It quite often has water over the road there from the wet lands. That part of the track is not the problem, it is further south and north of Etadunna Station were the Cooper Creek goes over the Birdsville Track.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 668724

Sponsored Links